The Best Horseshoe Set: Tops Picks for Backyard Fun
This post includes affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, we may get a commission at no additional cost to you as a result of your purchase. More information may be found here. Horseshoes is an ancient game that has maintained its appeal over time. It provides an excellent blend of skill and strategy, as well as enjoyment and social interaction. For this reason, it’s a terrific game for family members of all ages, and it’s a great way to spend time outdoors in the yard, at a barbeque or tailgate, at a picnic or on the beach, among other places.
Whatever your level of experience with horseshoes, whether you’re searching for a fun group pastime or a game set to help you polish your competitive edge, here are some of the greatest horseshoe sets available today.
Our Picks for The Best Horseshoe Sets
Designed for years of tournament play, this set of professional throwing horseshoes from Gordon Horseshoes is of great quality and will last a lifetime. For tournament and league play, the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association (NHPA) has officially approved these medium weight 2.5 pound horseshoes. They are an excellent choice for players who want to take their horseshoe game to the next level and compete at a higher level. In order to provide great strength, the Gordon Professional Pitching Horseshoes are constructed of high duty AISI C1035 carbon steel.
The hooks have been toughened, and the pair has been matched to within 5 grams of each other in terms of weight.
- Steel of superior grade
- Drop-forged for strength and longevity
- The National Hockey League has sanctioned official league and tournament play
- For consistent play, the weights are matched to within 5 grams. Horseshoes that are medium in weight and may be used all around the horse. A one-year warranty is included.
- There are only a pair of horseshoes in the package, not the entire game set.
St. Pierre American Professional Series Horseshoes Complete Set
With a distinctive form and a professional finger positioner, this American Professional horseshoes game set from St. Pierre was developed by a world champion horseshoe pitcher so that you may play horseshoes like a champion yourself. A distinctive design distinguishes the St. Pierre American Professional Series Horseshoes Complete Set from the competition. The horseshoes are NHPA-approved. These stakes have heavier tips for better balancing and longer tips for better gripping power. A tapered leading edge makes it easier for them to slip onto the stake, and a ringer breaker allows them to spin the shoe while on the stake.
Their construction is forged steel, which provides outstanding strength and longevity.
In either blue and grey or blue and red horseshoes, the St.
Either package also includes two solid steel stakes measuring 24 inches in length, a rule book, and a hard plastic carrying bag for transportation. This set is manufactured in the United States and is backed by a 60-day guarantee. Pros:
- Horseshoe game set that is complete and of professional quality
- With its unique horseshoe form, more ringers may benefit from greater balance and rotation. Horseshoes forged from steel and a steel stake for strength and long-term durability Horseshoes that have been certified by the NHPA
- It comes with a tough carrying bag to make it more portable. Colors of horseshoes to choose from
- A 60-day warranty is included with the purchase.
- The stakes are too short to maintain their upright position throughout a game in loose or dry soil, and they may need to be changed or secured instead.
Viva Sol Premium Horseshoes Outdoor Game Set is a high-quality outdoor game set. Portable outdoor horseshoe game set by Viva Sol with nautical and beachy design is ideal for a vacation, summer cottage or outdoor picnic in the great outdoors! Despite its playful, nostalgic appearance, this is a serious, high-quality horseshoe game set that will appeal to both novice and experienced players. It includes four premium horseshoes, each of which weighs 2.5 pounds and is made of premium forged steel that has been powder coated in an attractive, pastel blue and green for durability and weather resistance.
Hand finished two-toned wood finished with poplar veneer and walnut, the carrying case for this horseshoe game set is a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture.
The luxurious casing, complete with oil-rubbed bronze locks, is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
The set includes two 23.5-inch rust-proof tapered end stakes, which are packaged in a gorgeous wood carrying box for safekeeping.
- Set in a stylish design with a classic, nautical feel
- Horseshoes made of high-quality forged steel
- Metal stakes that are resistant to rust
- Carrying case made of high-quality wood with rope handles and foam cushioning
- Surface treatments that are resistant to the elements
- Construction of superior quality
- With no anchoring, the stakes are too short and narrow to allow for lengthy play in loose and dry soil.
Champion Sports Rubber Horseshoe Set
This rubber horseshoe game set from Champion Sports is lightweight, entertaining, and safe for the entire family to enjoy whether it is played indoors or outside. This set, which is constructed of lightweight rubber and includes rubber playing mats, will not harm indoor or outdoor décor and is light enough for tiny children to enjoy. The Champion Sports Rubber Horseshoe Set is distinguished by its brilliant, colorful colors, which are simple to distinguish. For children of all ages, the rubber horseshoes are simple to aim and throw, and they won’t do any harm if they are used indoors.
It is quick and simple to set up a game of any location at any time.
It includes four horseshoes, two indoor stakes, and two outdoor stakes, as well as two stakes for inside play.
- Lightweight and simple to assemble and operate
- Neither rubber horseshoes nor plastic stakes will do any damage to your décor or furniture. It may be used both indoors and outside
- Colors that are bright and high in visibility
- Strong and long-lasting
GoSports Giant Horseshoes Yard Game Set
With this gigantic horseshoe game set from GoSports, you can have hours of entertainment outside or at virtually any other occasion. Because of its huge size and low weight, the game is easier to play and more pleasurable for the entire family to enjoy. The GoSports Giant Horseshoes Yard Game Set includes four horseshoes that are brightly colored in blue and red. It is estimated that the horseshoes are more than double the size of traditional horseshoes, and they are composed of lightweight, robust, and weather-resistant plastic.
It’s strong, lightweight, waterproof, and simple to use by anybody, anywhere at any time.
The GoSports Giant Horseshoes Yard Game Set includes four enormous horseshoes, two long wooden stakes, and a carrying strap for easy transport. GoSports is situated in the United States and offers a 100 percent money-back satisfaction guarantee on this package. Pros:
- The game is easy and enjoyable because of the large size of the set. Set is kept together and portable by means of a convenient carrying strap. Lightweight and simple to operate
- Materials that are long-lasting defy wear and weather. Colors that pop
- The company offers a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
- Designed for social and recreational game play rather than serious tournament competition
What to Look for in a Horseshoe Game Set
Even for beginners, the quality of a horseshoe set is important. Choosing a nice set with well-made pieces makes the game more consistent, allowing you to improve your abilities, get higher points, and have a more enjoyable time playing the game. Here are some of the most important characteristics to search for:
While a casual game may be played using conventional, traditional horseshoes, today’s game-ready horseshoes have been specially designed to provide better performance in competitive situations. Shoe sizes for game are now roughly twice as large as those for horses, and the tips are designed like hooks to maximize the likelihood of catching a ringer in the field. Methods and materials often used in the manufacture of horseshoes include the ones listed below.
- Cast iron is a kind of iron. Horseshoes made of cast iron are simple to create and affordable. In order to compensate for the lesser weight of iron compared to steel, these horseshoes are sometimes built thicker and heavier in order to increase weight. They are weaker and more prone to breaking than other materials
- Drop forge steel is one of them
- Forging steel and hammering it into the correct form is the conventional method of creating these horseshoes. Steel is more durable than iron, and forging and hammering the steel increases the strength of the material. These shoes are more durable since steel is stronger than iron. This technology is more expensive since manufacturing is slower, and it inherently restricts some design options
- Yet, it is becoming increasingly popular. Steel that has been cast. For the most part, cast steel is the most widely used way of producing professional horseshoes today. It makes use of steel alloys that are significantly stronger and more durable than iron, but with the benefit of casting, which is both faster and offers a greater variety of design options. It is a time-consuming procedure, but it produces the high durability, high strength, and high performance horseshoes that competition need.
Look for a high-quality, weather-resistant finish on your horseshoes, no matter what material they are constructed of. When horseshoes are played regularly, they are subjected to continual collisions and touch with grass, dirt, sand, moisture, and other things, as well as with each other. They should have a finish that is impact and moisture resistant, as well as being simple to clean.
Horseshoes may be played with nearly anything as a stake, however the following are some qualities to look for in a horseshoe stake:
- Length. The stake has to be 14-15 inches above the ground in order to play a normal game. The stake must be long enough to properly anchor in the ground since it will be subjected to a horseshoe impact that will likely cause it to topple if it is not sufficiently secured in the earth. It is preferable to use a stake that is 30 inches or longer in most outdoor situations, so that it can be driven deeply into the ground and endure the forces of the game being played. In order to create a permanent outdoor horseshoe game, stakes may be driven into the ground and anchored with concrete to provide superior stability. Material. While most stakes are constructed of metal for durability and weather resistance, elite players use stakes made of wood for a more natural look and feel. Due to the reduced sharpness of repeated strikes over time, wood stakes cause less cumulative damage to horseshoes
- Colors. Colors on stakes are entirely optional, although visibility is critical for accuracy and pleasure of the game in general. On make your stakes more apparent if they aren’t already, consider applying tape or paint to the tip to increase contrast and make the stake easier to notice
If you want to take your game on the road with you, having a carrying case provided is a nice feature. In addition to being heavy, horseshoes have a tendency to clank or knock against one another while in transit, increasing the likelihood of chipping or damage. In addition to carrying your horseshoe game set, look for a case that keeps all of the pieces in position and prevents them from rubbing against one another, preserving the finishes and extending the life of the set.
Horseshoes is a fun and engaging game that may be enjoyed by members of the family of all ages. The simple rules and tossing of the horseshoes will provide hours of entertainment for children. Older adults likely recall playing it as a youngster with their family at some point throughout their lives. And individuals of all ages will appreciate the enjoyable game, the calm pace, and the simple enjoyment of playing an outdoor game with friends or family. If your set is portable, it’s a terrific pastime for a picnic, a day at the beach, or other outdoor activities, and it’s safe for children to participate in.
8 Best Horseshoe Sets 2022 – Reviews & Top Picks
Trying to think of something entertaining to do in the backyard on a hot summer afternoon? A horseshoe set is a fantastic traditional game that has been around for hundreds of years and continues to be popular today. It is lightweight, easy to learn, and entertaining to play! This classic game is a favorite for backyard picnics and family get-togethers, and it is suitable for players of all ages and abilities to participate. The sport is thought to have started in Rome, where discus was a popular spectator sport.
A related game called quoits, which included the use of a circular metal disc with a hole in the centre, is also commonly speculated by historians to have originated from horseshoes, which were used interchangeably with horseshoes depending on what was available at any given time.
Our pitching sets range from the highest-quality professional pitching sets to a simple and enjoyable set to play with friends and family.
We have something for everyone! As a result, we’ve reduced the possibilities down to the eight greatest horseshoe sets we could discover to assist you in selecting the most appropriate set for your needs. Let’s get this party started!
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
With everything you need to get started contained in one easy package, the American Professional Horseshoe set from St. Pierreis our top option overall. The horseshoes include larger tips to assist you latch onto the stake and a ringer breaker to help you spin the shoe. They also have a finger positioner to help you grip it like the professionals. The set contains four forged steel horseshoes in shades of blue and grey, as well as two solid steel 24-inch stakes that are built to last. The package also includes an official rulebook to help you iron out any kinks, a plastic tote bag to make transporting the set easier, and a 60-day manufacturer guarantee.
- A ringer breaker and finger positioner are included in the horseshoes with a long-tipped point. Forged steel is used in its construction. Two strong steel stakes measuring 24 inches in length are supplied. Included are an official rulebook and a travel case. Manufacturer’s guarantee of 60 days
2.Champion Sports IHS1 Rubber Horseshoe Set — Best Value
The IHS1 rubber horseshoe set from Champion Sports is the greatest horseshoe set you can get for your money. They are composed of lightweight rubber, which makes them safer to handle and throw and makes them more easily thrown by children. They are placed on lightweight rubber mats, allowing you to safely use them both indoors and outdoors, and they will stay in place even on a slick floor thanks to their suction cups. These items are also created with bright, bold colors to provide better visibility in low light, and they are quick and simple to assemble.
Unfortunately, both the rubber-mounted stakes and the outdoor stakes are unable to withstand the force of the horseshoes and are prone to tipping over quickly.
- Safe for children
- Suitable for use both indoors and outdoors
- Stakes made of lightweight rubber mats
- Colors that are bright and lively
- Simple to set up
- Also see: Why Do Horses Require Shoeing? What is the goal of their organization?
3.Baden Champions Horseshoe Set — Premium Choice
If you are searching for a high-quality horseshoe set that has been tested and authorized by the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association (NHPA), go no further than this Baden Champion horseshoe set. It is made of high-quality materials and is tested and approved by the NHPA. All of the horseshoes are constructed of forged steel so that they will last a lifetime. The stakes are 24 inches long, and the set is packaged in a robust nylon bag for convenient transportation. In addition, the kit contains a comprehensive set of rules and instructions.
The horseshoes are of excellent quality and are well-balanced, however they are covered in thin paint that begins to chip very quickly after use.
- The National Horseshoe Pitchers Association has approved this product. It is made of forged steel and comes with 24 inch stakes and a robust nylon bag. It also comes with a complete set of rules and instructions.
4.Champion Sports CG205 Horseshoe Set
The Champion Sports Horseshoe Set is made up of high-grade, regulation-weighted horseshoes and stakes that are of professional quality. Two chrome-plated horseshoes and two brass-plated horseshoes, as well as two robust chrome-plated metal stakes, are included, as is a weather-resistant nylon bag for when you want to play while you’re on the road. The shoes are built to last, and the durable coating ensures that they will remain rust and corrosion-free even after years of outdoor use. The bundle also contains a comprehensive set of instructions, so you’ll have everything you need to get started right away.
One essential aspect to note is that the shoes are made of cast steel rather than forged steel, which means that they are susceptible to breaking under hard wear. This has been reported by a number of consumers to have occurred after only one use. Pros
- Weighted horseshoes in accordance with regulations
- Chrome-plated metal stakes
- Supplied weather-resistant canvas bag
- Comprehensive set of instructions
- See also: Top Picks for the 10 Best Horse Shampoos in 2021: Reviews and Ratings
5.Triumph 35-7085-2 Steel Horseshoe Set
The Triumph Steel Horseshoe Equipment is a low-cost and straightforward set for outdoor get-togethers with friends and family. The set includes two silver shoes and two powder-coated gold shoes that are both robust and weather resistant, as well as two stakes with a diameter of 16mm and a length of 20 inches. The stakes have a silver finish. Each pair of shoes weighs 2.5 pounds and is composed of die-cast steel construction. Customers have complained that the paint covering on these shoes peels quickly, and after only one game, they have reported that the paint has been severely chipped away.
There is also no rulebook or carrying case supplied with the game.
- Horseshoes that are inexpensive
- Powder-coated horseshoes
- 20-inch silver stakes
- Horseshoes that are properly weighted
- Paint covering can readily chipped
- Steel construction is not very sturdy
- Cast steel construction is not very strong. There is no carrying case.
6.Franklin Sports 50020 Horseshoes Set
This horseshoe set from Franklin Sports contains shoes that are legitimate sizes and weights, so they are as good as the ones used by the pros in competition! There are two cast iron gold shoes and two cast iron silver shoes included in the set, each weighing 2.1 pounds. There are also two 20-inch solid-steel stakes with tapered ends for ease mounting, which are coated with a hammarite finish. There are four various versions of the set available: the Beginning, the Family, the American, and the Professional.
Even with modest use, the stake is a little too short to properly drive in without compromising length, and the cast-iron shoes are prone to snapping under the weight of the stake.
- Four distinct sets of official weight horseshoes are available
- They are cast iron
- They have 20-inch solid-steel stakes with tapered ends
- They are available in four different weights.
- Horseshoes are prone to breaking. The stakes are a touch on the small side
7.Tailgate 360 Professional Horseshoe Set
Four horseshoes — two blue and two steel — and two steel stakes are included in the Tailgate 360 Professional Horseshoe Set, which is also packaged in a handy carry bag. In addition to the stakes, which are 19 inches long and constructed of robust steel, the horseshoes are coated in a durable powder-coated finish that will defy the elements and endure for years. The set is also reasonably priced, making it an excellent choice for novices or children. The horseshoes that come with the set are not made of steel, but the manufacturer does not specify what material they are made of.
Additionally, the powder covering breaks off readily and after only a short period of time.
- Powder-coated horseshoes
- Long-lasting steel stakes
- Low price
- Comes with a carrying box.
- Horseshoes are readily broken, and powder coating is quickly chipped.
8.Hathaway BG3133 Heavy Duty Horseshoe Set
For beginners and casual outdoor use, this heavy-duty horseshoe set from Hathaway is ideal. Each of the horseshoes in the set (two blue and two silver) is made of steel and has a powder-coated surface that is weather resistant while remaining gripping, according to the manufacturer. The grips are located on both ends of the shoe as well as in the center. Each shoe weighs 2.6 pounds, which is the official weight, and the set includes two 2-foot steel stakes, as well as a compact nylon carrying box for easy travel and storage of all of the shoes and accessories.
They are not composed of steel, as indicated by the manufacturer, because they shatter quickly and apparently do so after only one application. The bag that comes with the package is likewise of low quality and rips quickly. Pros
- The powder-coated horseshoes are great for novices. They are gripped horseshoes, and a nylon carrying bag is included.
A good-quality horseshoe set should last you for many years, even if you are an utter beginner. A well-made horseshoe set will also be more consistent, which will aid you in improving your game and playing it more effectively overall. In the market for a horseshoe set, you have two choices: a recreational set and a professional set. Both sets are essentially the same, but a professional-grade set has higher-quality components that will last longer and provide a more accurate game overall. Your game will improve dramatically as a result of the quality of the shoes, which are well-constructed, weighted, and balanced.
When buying a set of horseshoes, here are a few factors to look for.
To be more specific, the game of horseshoes was traditionally played using regular, conventional horseshoes that were actually used on horses! However, while you may still use them for a casual game, they are fairly hefty and their weight and size will not be constant, making it harder to enhance your game play skills. Specifically developed and manufactured for enhanced and consistent performance, the horseshoes used in the modern game of horseshoe are great for honing your abilities and enhancing your performance.
Furthermore, contemporary shoes are produced from a range of various materials, including but not limited to:
- Cast Iron is a type of iron that is cast into a mold. Cast iron is used to make the majority of mass-produced horseshoes because it is lightweight, easy to work with, and economical. Because iron is lighter than steel, cast-iron horseshoes are frequently a little larger in order to compensate for the weight loss. Unfortunately, there is a negative side effect to the lower price: Because these shoes are composed of a weaker material than other types of shoes, they are significantly more prone to break. Steel that has been cast. In the modern horseshoe industry, cast steel is one of the most extensively utilized methods of production. It is a steel alloy that is both stronger and more durable than iron. It is also more expensive than iron. Given that it is cast, it is also possible to create a wide variety of forms, and mass manufacturing is simple and inexpensive, lowering the cost of production. Forged Steel shoes are more costly than cast-iron shoes, but they are significantly more durable than their cast-iron counterparts. Forged-steel horseshoes, which are produced in the traditional manner by forging steel and hammering it into the horseshoe form, are the most durable sort of horseshoe available. Steel is far stronger than cast iron, and the hammering just serves to strengthen the steel even more. Of course, this process makes manufacture more time-consuming, and the shoes themselves are significantly more expensive. When it comes to horseshoes, they are heavy and possibly harmful, so if you are playing the game with tiny children, a set of rubber horseshoes may be your best option. In addition, they may be used inside, and they are quite sturdy – they are unlikely to shatter quickly.
No matter what material your horseshoes are made of, they should be treated with a weather-resistant coating or finish to ensure that they survive as long as possible. This is because the shoes are continually in touch with sand, grass, and water. The finish should also be sturdy enough that it does not fracture or chip when thrown, although this will unavoidably happen with time and with repeated use and abuse. A colored finish is also recommended for increased visibility, as well as for assigning a shoe to each individual team member.
If you wish to play by the National Horseshoe Players Association (NHPA) rules, your horseshoe should be roughly 2.5 pounds in weight, as this is what the pros use.
As long as it is strong enough, you could technically use whatever you chose for a stake, but a stake that has been specifically designed for the job is preferred. In order to purchase a horseshoe set with a stake, the following features should be considered:
- Horseshoe stakes are required to be 14-15 inches above the ground in order to comply with standards. It also requires more length in order to securely anchor into the ground and avoid shifting or toppling over when struck by the metal horseshoe on the ground. Ideally, you want a stake that is around 25-30 inches in length so that you can pound it into the ground with great force. You might consider cementing the stake into the ground to ensure the best possible stability, especially if you play regularly. Stainless steel stakes are strong and long-lasting
- Most horseshoe sets contain stainless steel stakes as standard. Metal stakes are also available separately. Metal stakes, on the other hand, might cause harm to your horseshoes over time, particularly if the shoes are of low quality. Wooden stakes may not be as long-lasting as metal stakes, but they are less damaging to your shoes. Wooden stakes are used by most experts because, like horseshoes, a brightly colored stake makes it much simpler to aim and makes your game more precise. Having said that, steel stakes are generally more visible than wood stakes, and are thus preferable. Consider simply adding colorful tape to your stakes in order to improve their visibility
- For example,
A carry case is a useful item, even if it is not absolutely necessary.
When you go on vacation, you may take your horseshoe set with you and store it in the case, which keeps parts from becoming accidently misplaced or damaged. Most sets include a travel case, which can be of variable quality depending on the manufacturer.
Horseshoe set maintenance
It is not only the materials from which your horseshoes are created, but also how well they are cared for, that determines how long they will last. Even the highest-quality horseshoes require appropriate care and maintenance in order to provide years of service, and you can significantly extend their lifespan by following these guidelines: 1. Clean your horseshoes regularly
- The horseshoes should never be left outside. Rain, heat, and intense sunshine can produce rust and corrosion in a short period of time, leading the metal to become brittle. It’s a good idea to put everything away when you’ve finished using it
- Never play on hard concrete. Playing the game on concrete will cause your horseshoes to chip and break fast, regardless of what material they are made of. Always play on a soft grass lawn, sand, or even wood, and keep the coating on your horseshoes in good condition. After prolonged usage, the paint on your shoes will surely crack and chip, and there is nothing wrong with giving them a fresh coat of paint every now and again. Paint prevents your horseshoe from shattering and absorbs some of the shock when it hits the stake, resulting in a significant increase in the life of your horseshoe.
The American Professional Horseshoe Set from St. Pierre is our best option overall, and it’s also the most affordable. Horseshoes with long tips for enhanced grip and a shoe-rotating ringer, a finger positioner to ensure correct grip, two solid-steel 24-inch stakes, an official rulebook, and a plastic tote bag for convenient transport are all included, and the set is backed by a 60-day manufacturer’s guarantee. The IHS1 rubber set from Champion Sports is the greatest horseshoe set you can get for your money.
This is a fantastic set for families and leisure activities of many kinds.
If you want to play horseshoeing on the weekends or if you want to take it a little more seriously, we have a set for you.
Best Horseshoe Sets in 2022 – Review by Garden Gate
First and foremost, when searching for the ideal horseshoeset, it is important to consider a few factors. The majority of sets have the same components, yet the slight variations create a significant impact. The first thing you should consider is how often you want to use your horseshoes. If you intend to use them every day, that is fine. Is this something you intend to play every once in a while when you have visitors, or are you prepared to commit to it on a regular basis as a regular player?
- If all you want to do is have some outdoor fun, something simple will do the trick.
- If you plan on bringing your horseshoe set to the beach, park, or on vacation, you’ll need to figure out how you’re going to move it.
- You may also want to seek for sets in unusual colors to make your set stand out from the crowd.
- Repeating this process over and over again may cause harm to your lawn.
- If you’re serious about horseshoe throwing, seek for a set of horseshoes that has been approved by the National Horseshoe Pitching Association (NHPA).
This is critical whether you plan on competing in tournaments or simply like playing with high-quality equipment. When comparing various sets, make sure to check the packaging to see if they have been approved by the NHPA.
Shopping guide for horseshoe sets
When it comes time to start looking for a set, the first important thing to consider is the durability of the materials used. In order for horseshoes to be effective when thrown, the ones you pick must be durable. Although the majority are composed of steel or metal, they are nonetheless susceptible to corrosion, rust, and fracture when exposed to the elements. Look for horseshoes that are formed from steel to save money. These are often indestructible and can resist exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Also important is that they are long enough to maintain their stability when driven into the ground.
- These allow children to become acclimated to the game before moving on to real horseshoes in the future.
- When your children are ready for the real thing, you can find horseshoes that aren’t as heavy as the ones used in competitions and competitions.
- In addition, find out exactly what type of material they’re composed of and where they’re created before purchasing them.
- While the quality may still vary from set to set, you can be certain that you’ll be playing with tournament-grade standards at the very least.
What are the benefits of a horseshoe set?
To have a good time with your horseshoe set is the main point of purchasing one. A friendly game of horseshoes is one of the best ways to get people together and have some fun. The best thing is that it is appropriate for people of all ages. Having a set of utensils on hand is ideal for backyard gatherings and barbecues. You’ll most likely discover that, once you get started, the games will keep you entertained until the sun sets. Another advantage of owning a horseshoe set is that you can carry it with you wherever you go.
- It’s simple to pack and move a horseshoe set because there aren’t many pieces to it in the first place.
- This implies that the enjoyment follows you wherever you go.
- Pitching horseshoes is both simple and difficult at the same time.
- This implies that anybody and everyone can get engaged.
- Simply putting down your stakes and getting started is all that is required.
- It’s a low-stress game that allows you to relax and enjoy the company of your adversaries.
Having a backyard BBQ will bring you closer to your family and friends, and it will also offer a little something special to your gatherings. Check out our outdoor living website for additional ideas on how to keep your family and friends entertained.
Amazon.com : Champion Sports Tournament Horseshoe Set: Classic Outdoor Lawn Game includes Two Chrome & Two Brass Plated Professional Horseshoes with Solid Steel Stakes & Carrying Case : Sports & Outdoors
a rating of one out of five stars This is a terrible shoe. This is not anything to purchase. On August 21, 2020, the United States will conduct a review. We purchased three of them for our restaurant’s outside seating area. We only got them a few days ago, but we busted them out tonight to play a fantastic game of shoes. This was the outcome of the game after only the third round. The lady in the image is the one who tossed it and smashed it. We will be returning all three sets of books to the library.
Top reviews from the United States
On September 20, 2019, a review was conducted in the United States. Classic Set is the name of the style. Purchase that has been verified It was for my Special Olympics team that I purchased it. On our first expedition with the new horseshoe set, three of the four horseshoes that came with it were broken. I was taken aback since I had assumed they were substantial and not just cast. I was not expecting them to be split in half like that. Of course, I missed the return window, which means that my hard-earned money has gone down the toilet, and I still don’t have any horse shoes for my athletes to use for training purposes.
- Deluxe Set is the name of the style.
- Only TWO times have we used the deluxe horseshoe set since we acquired it ten months ago, and one of the bronze colored horseshoes snapped/broke in two distinct places after being thrown!
- a total and utter sleaze-bag of nonsense!
- As an alternative, investigate the sets and look for one in which the steel has been forged rather than cast.
- Our next set, which will be acquired from a well-established 110-year-old American firm, will have forged steel horseshoes that will be manufactured right here in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
- you’ve been warned.
- Verified Purchase of the Deluxe Set in the style named Deluxe Set This set was delivered to us on April 15, 2020.
I dug a trench and filled it with six bags of sand for each horseshoe, but because the horseshoes are made of a substandard metal, they managed to burst through the sand barrier.
This was a huge disappointment because this was an activity that we had hoped to participate in on a regular basis during the epidemic.
Verified Purchase of the Deluxe Set in the style named Deluxe Set After I purchased these, I did some research and discovered that they were not the size sanctioned by the horseshoe organization, or whatever they are called.
I was disappointed to receive a stake that was only 1/2″ in diameter rather than 1″ in diameter, and the shoes appear to be of low quality, which is understandable given that they are manufactured in China.
On December 26, 2020, the United States will conduct a review.
Verified Purchase The traditional set stakes are only 20 inches in length, therefore I may have given a higher rating if I had known this beforehand.
According to the deluxe set, the stakes are 24 inches in length, which is what I anticipated to receive with the traditional set.
Make an informed decision about your set.
I’m going to try to stake out some ground in concrete and see how long it lasts.
The product was reviewed in the United States on August 21, 2020.
We purchased three of them for our restaurant’s outside seating area.
This was the outcome of the game after only the third round.
We will be returning all three sets of books to the library.
This is not anything to purchase.
We purchased three of them for our restaurant’s outside seating area.
This was the outcome of the game after only the third round.
We will be returning all three sets of books to the library.
Deluxe Set is the name of the style.
When I received the horseshoes, the handle appeared to be damaged, so I had to sand it down.
After using it for a time, I regret not purchasing the PAinted set.
When you strike the stake, you’re done.
Verified Purchase of the Deluxe Set in the style named Deluxe Set It’s actually not that complicated.
The only two drawbacks are that the stakes could be a bit longer in order to properly attach them in the ground, and that as the shoes start hitting the sand, the colors will start to appear the same, forcing you to refer to the A and B labels to differentiate between them.
The travel case, on the other hand, is convenient if you wish to transport it in a camper.
Mine is in the backyard, where it will be there for a while. Although I may wind up purchasing some longer pieces of rebar from the hardware store to use as anchors, everything else appears to be in working order.
Top reviews from other countries
5.0 stars out of 5 for this product They have a long shelf life. Style Name: Classic SetVerified PurchaseReviewed in Canada on September 21, 2021Style Name: Classic Set Other pairs of horseshoes, which I had acquired elsewhere, were also worn out. In both instances, the shoes were literally torn apart. These shoes have seen more action than the other two pairs combined, yet they are still in good condition. The only bad aspect of these shoes that I can point out is that they have done nothing to improve my game.
- And there you have it: a genuine.
- Very good decision!
- Style Name: Deluxe SetVerified PurchaseReviewed in Canada on April 20, 2020Style Name: Deluxe SetVerified Purchase Moreover, it is not appropriate for a child; I had high expectations, but I have been greatly disappointed.
- Undersized and a complete waste of time.
- We are grateful for the opportunity to return for a refund.
- Style Name: Tournament SetVerified PurchaseReviewed in Canada on May 19, 2019Style Name: Tournament SetVerified Purchase So we were finally going to put the shoes to use when we discovered that we had received three pairs of silver shoes and one pair of gold shoes.
The Best Horseshoes Sets for Good Old-Fashioned Backyard Fun
Horseshoes isn’t the most technologically advanced or the most sophisticated game around. That doesn’t make it any less entertaining, however. The traditional lawn game has survived the test of time because it is simple to set up and play while yet providing hours of entertainment for players. It is for this reason that having a horseshoes set in your collection is beneficial. The title of the game is self-explanatory, and the idea is as clear. To put it another way, you’re attempting to toss a horseshoe around a target.
The game is often set up on the lawn, with the stakes around 40 feet away from one another.
Instead of horseshoes that could be customized to match your stallion’s hooves, newer sets have more stylish versions of the classic design.
Some sets are also available in rubber, in case your youngsters choose to engage in some physical activity. Here, we’ve compiled a list of the top four horseshoe sets currently available on Amazon.
1. St. Pierre Horseshoes Set
The ultimate horseshoes set is available from St. Pierre for anyone looking to learn how to pitch like the pros. A World Champion Horseshoe pitcher designed it, and it includes everything you need to get started, including four horseshoes, a set of 24-inch stakes, an official rulebook, and a black plastic tote to keep it all in one convenient location. The set, which is made in the United States of America, is forged from solid steel and can survive the most extreme weather conditions. In addition, the horseshoes have a distinctive form that will put your throwing abilities to the test.
Amazon $79.95 for the St.
2. Franklin Sports Horseshoes Set
This horseshoes set by Franklin Sports, like our top selection, is a fine example of high-quality workmanship in action. It is forged from solid steel and comes with two blue horseshoes, two silver horseshoes, a pair of 20-inch stakes, and a carrying box to make travelling simple and convenient. Despite the fact that there isn’t a rule book, the game is very self-explanatory. Each horseshoe weighs approximately 2.1 pounds and is evenly weighted and balanced to provide constant soaring performance.
Amazon Set of Franklin Sports Horseshoes (includes:
3. Triumph Steel Horseshoe Set
This outfit will transport you back in time if you really want to relive the glory days of the past. Made of durable cast steel with a hammer finish, it has a lovely, vintage appearance. It is very easy to clean. The set includes two gold horseshoes with gold powder coating, two silver horseshoes with silver powder coating, and a pair of robust 20-inch stakes with silver powder coating. Despite the fact that this set does not have a travel bag, it is resilient enough to be left outside and will provide an old-fashioned vibe to any garden setting.
4. Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Horseshoe Set
Despite the fact that steel horseshoe sets are sturdy, they can inflict some harm. The road to success is not always easy sailing, whether it’s a small scratch in your perfectly groomed lawn or a black toe caused by a horseshoe gone awry. In the case of this package from Champion Sports, however, this is not the case. It’s made of rubber and comes with four horseshoes and two stakes, as well as two rubber mats with yellow pegs that may be used indoors if necessary. This implies that you may play in any environment you want, from your living room to your garden.
Amazon $17.37 for the Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Horseshoe Set.
Top 8 Horseshoe Sets of 2021
In the two years after it was initially published in September 2015, this wiki has had 28 updates. Engage your family and friends in some old-fashioned fun by getting them away from their cellphones, video games, and televisions and into the fresh air. The game of quoits, which is said to have originated in Ancient Greece, has evolved into a simple and cherished activity that is played by adults and children all over the world. You’ll be a part of gaming history if you own one of these horseshoe collections.
In the two years after it was initially published in September 2015, this wiki has had 28 updates.
The game of quoits, which is said to have originated in Ancient Greece, has evolved into a simple and cherished activity that is played by adults and children all over the world.
You’ll be a part of gaming history if you own one of these horseshoe collections. When people purchase our editorial picks that have been independently chosen, we may get a commission that will be used to help finance the Wiki.
1.St. Pierre American Professional Series
The St. Pierre American Professional Series (which costs roughly $50) is the preferred choice for serious players all over the world. With a 60-day guarantee, you can be certain that you are purchasing a high-quality set that is perfect for outdoor barbecues. In addition, you’ll receive an official rulebook that will put an end to any squabbling.
Investing in a pair of Thoroughbred Flip-Grips (about $76) will take your game to the next level. These are sanctioned by the National Horseshoe Pitching Association, and they are made of an iron alloy that is resistant to deformation and burring, so you can rely on them to last for a long period of time.
3.Thoroughbred Horseshoes Challenger
If you play horseshoes on a regular basis, the Thoroughbred Horseshoes Challenger (about $119) is an excellent pick. There are shoes in this set that are of extraordinary quality, since they are composed of an iron alloy that can withstand years of severe use without ever breaking down or deforming.
In addition to being difficult to locate in stock, the Baden and Viva Sol versions are virtually identical to a couple of other models, therefore we no longer suggest them. Because of their constant construction and formal National Horseshoe Pitching Association approval, the Thoroughbred Flip-Grip and St. Pierre American Professional Series continue to be our top choices for horseshoes. Those looking for a good, matching carrying bag and who have the financial means to do so can pick the high-end St.
- Generally speaking, our suggestions on this page have not altered since our previous update.
- For those who like the former, we still believe that the St.
- It comes with everything you need, including regulations, and all of the components are built to last a long, long time.
- Alternatively, the Champion Sports Officialset is a more affordable alternative, although it should be noted that its components are not as durable as the ones included in the previous set.
- Unfortunately, the green and blue shoes in this collection are quite similar in color, which can be bothersome, but it is a minor flaw in an otherwise excellent collection.
- These are weight-matched sets, with each piece made of high-quality materials and finished to a high standard.
Alternatively, the K-Roo Sports 2-in-1, which was designed to be safe for children aged 3 and above, might be considered.
Python from the M M Horseshoe Company For those who take their horseshoeing seriously, the M M Horseshoe Company Python is a dependable, well-balanced shoe to have in their collection. While it’s available in three different weights and numerous different colors, including pink and purple, your pair will be matched to within no matter which configuration you pick. pitchinghorseshoes.com is a website that sells 2 of an ounce of horseshoes.
When it comes to tournament or league competition, the Gordon Professional(approximately $65) lives up to its name since they are prepared. They are made of carbon steel and feature reinforced hooks as well as a powder-coated finish, guaranteeing that they will remain in good condition for a long time.
5.St. Pierre Presidential Edition
In addition, the St. Pierre Presidential Edition (about $80) comes packaged in a gorgeous oak box that makes it an excellent gift for lawn game enthusiasts. To make it easier to rack up points, the shoes are built with specifically engineered tips that hook onto the target and keep it hooked.
Lawn game enthusiasts may appreciate the St. Pierre Presidential Edition (about $80), which comes in a lovely oak box. To make it easier to rack up points, the shoes are constructed with specifically shaped tips that hook the target.
7.K-Roo Sports 2-in-1
The K-Roo Sports 2-in-1 (about $8) is clearly recognized thanks to its bright colors, which ensures that there is never any confusion about which shoe is which. They’re also quite lightweight as compared to the heavier metal versions available, which makes them an excellent choice for novices.
8.Champion Sports Official
The Champion Sports Official (about $40) comes with a durable nylon storage bag, so you won’t have to worry about your equipment getting destroyed on the way to the park. It’s a fine set for adults, but the 2-1/2-pound shoes may be too much for children to bear.
A Brief History Of Horseshoes
Someone eventually had the brilliant idea to hammer a stake into the ground and dare others to try to strike it with a baseball bat. The first iron shoes made to protect horses’ hooves were most likely invented in Rome around 400 B.C.E., according to historical records. Horses were able to travel great distances in harsh weather because of this footwear’s ability to prevent the hoof from breaking. However, it was shortly realized that these shoes could be used for gambling, which was a significant development.
- Unfortunately, the equipment was out of reach for the majority of people, and they were forced to settle with the next best thing: horseshoes, which were quite inexpensive.
- Someone eventually had the brilliant idea to hammer a stake into the ground and dare others to try to strike it with a baseball bat.
- Due to the fact that this game was considerably more equal, it became extremely popular in Roman army camps.
- It became such a popular sport in England that two different kings, Richard II and Edward III, both prohibited it in the hopes of encouraging the populace to take up archery instead.
- In 1869, a set of formal regulations was devised, with English players regulating the amount of time the pitcher must stand away from the stake, the weight of the shoes, and other aspects of the game.
- The champion, a gentleman by the name of Frank Jackson, was presented with a championship belt that was embellished with horseshoes.
- Despite this, the state would continue to be a hub for competition, with the establishment of the game’s first regulating body in Kansas City.
- Separate regulatory committees were established in Ohio during the early 1920s, but the two rival regulatory committees were able to put their disagreements aside and come together throughout the same decade.
Because the sport is simple to learn, affordable to participate in, and unexpectedly enjoyable, it is reasonable to expect its popularity to increase in the coming years. After all, there aren’t many other games that can be played while carrying a drink with one hand other than this one.
Picking The Right Horseshoe Set
If you wish to play the game, you’ll need your own set of instructions. The good news is that horseshoe kits are tiny and readily portable, allowing you to ensure that everyone has a good time at the next picnic without having to worry about the equipment taking up an entire room in your house. Please keep in mind that familiarity with the material is the most significant aspect of success while hustling Grandma at the family reunion. You should have a general sense of who will be performing before you purchase your equipment.
- Older players, on the other hand, will love the heaviness and feel of classic steel pieces in their hands.
- It is also important to assess the overall quality of the carrying case.
- This will assist you in keeping the components arranged and lessen the likelihood that you will misplace something.
- You’ll want to make certain that whichever set you purchase has been approved by the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association, of course, if you’re planning on getting seriously involved in the game.
- Regardless matter which set you choose, you’ll be able to have a wonderful time regardless of which one you choose.
Taking Your Game To The Next Level
Pitching horseshoes appears to be a straightforward process. All that is required is that you get it as near to the pin as possible. Isn’t it a piece of cake? Anyone who has really played the game knows that it is a little more challenging than it appears on the surface. However, there are several methods and approaches that you may employ to ensure that you are the victor in your backyard competitions. To build some momentum behind your swing, take a stride forward with your left leg if you’re a right-handed player.
The majority of professionals recommend holding it at the curve or at the top, but it’s entirely up to you which position feels more comfortable for you.
Toss the ball into the air using your opposite leg when you’re ready to toss the ball.
Throughout the throw, your wrist should be towards you at the beginning, but should be pointing upwards during the follow-through.
That type of elaborate game isn’t allowed in horseshoes, unfortunately.
Beyond that, the most essential thing to remember is to put your skills into practice.
Who knows what will happen?
Christopher Thomas last edited this page on July 09, 2021.
His job experiences prompted him to start a catering business, and he went on to work as a sous chef at a number of prestigious Los Angeles restaurants.
The refutation of pseudoscience, the Dunning-Kruger effect, culinary skill, and touring are some of the topics he has discussed.
He takes pleasure in dissecting complicated issues for the benefit of everyone who is willing to listen – since teaching is the most effective approach to guarantee that you grasp what you are being taught.
In relation to the Wiki: The product brands listed on this page do not provide us sponsorships, free goods, samples, promotional items, or other advantages, save in the circumstances where such brands are made by the shop to which we are connecting, and we do not accept any of these benefits.
The Wiki is a participant in affiliate programs with companies such as Amazon, Walmart, Ebay, Target, and others, and we may get compensation for referrals to these websites.
If you feel that your product should be considered for inclusion in this review, you may contact us; but, we cannot promise a response, even if you deliver flowers to our offices.