How to Play Unstable Unicorns: Rules and Review
This post includes affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, we may get a commission at no additional cost to you as a result of your purchase. More information may be found here. Do you want to develop a unicorn army, betray your pals, and have a great time doing it? Then you’ll have to spend some time with us learning how to play unstable unicorns. It is a card game invented by Rami Badie, and it is called Unstable Unicorns. Unstable Unicorns is a new approach to competitive gaming that is intended to appeal to a generation of card-game players who are fans of games such as Fluxx and Cards Against Humanity, among other things.
In our opinion, you’ll want to share this game with as many of your friends as you possibly can the moment you have the chance!
How to Play Unstable Unicorns: Setup
The Unstable Unicorns package contains a total of 105 cards, as well as a rule book to assist you through the game’s many phases. There are seven different types of cards included in the package, including the following:
- Thirteen baby unicorn cards, thirty magical unicorn cards, twenty-two basic unicorn cards, twenty-three magic cards, eight downgrade cards, fourteen upgrade cards, and fourteen instant cards
If the thought of dealing with all of those different sorts of cards seems intimidating at first, don’t be concerned; this game is quite simple to learn. Essentially, you begin with a single newborn unicorn in your stable and work your way up to a full-fledged unicorn army from there. Every single unicorn in your deck will have a unique power of its own – even the most basic unicorns will have their own unique attraction. All you have to do to win is ensure that you have the appropriate amount of unicorns in your magical stable.
Start by collecting all of the baby unicorns from your deck and distributing one to each participant once the game is ready.
It is possible to arrange the remainder of the baby unicorns in a stack known as the “nursery.” After that, the remaining cards must be shuffled before you distribute 5 cards to each participant at random.
The individual who has the most colors on will be the first to depart.
How to Play Unstable Unicorns: Game Play
Once your game is set up, each player will draw a card and then choose whether or not to play a card from their hand or draw another. The impacts of a magical unicorn or a magic card can be felt immediately in the game; however, stable upgrades must be present in the stable at the start of a round in order for players to reap the benefits of their purchase. Additionally, it’s important to note that the maximum number of cards in a hand is seven. If you wind up with an excessive number of cards, you’ll have to discard some of them.
Ultimately, the goal of the game is to acquire a total of seven unicorns – but this is more difficult than it appears at first glance. As an example, two unicorns cannot be combined into a single deck, and the effects of each card are distinct from one another. As an illustration:
- Using instant cards to prevent others from playing their cards or putting down their unicorns is a dangerous proposition. Upgrade cards help you to improve the overall performance of your stable. Downgrade cards allow you to have a negative impact on someone else’s stable by adding a bad effect to their stable. Magic cards are a source of confusion in the game. Consider the possibility of being allowed to discard your card and draw a whole number of fresh ones. Unicorn cards with magical powers: Unicorn cards with magical powers contribute towards your total and have a magical power of their own. Basic and infant unicorns: These do not have magical abilities, but they still contribute to your total and get you closer to victory
You may either finish the game if you run out of cards or you can reshuffle the discard pile and continue playing.
How to Play Unstable Unicorns: Who Can Play
It is quite simple to learn how to play unstable unicorns. This is a really simple game that requires little in the way of strategy or expertise to play. Having said that, this does not rule out the possibility of having a lot of fun with these cards. The more you play, the more you’ll learn about how to take use of the particular powers on various cards. You may also use sabotage to cause problems for other players for a little wicked fun. Because of the cartoonish character of Unstable Unicorns, we believe that the suggested age limit of 14 years and older is a tad excessive.
With the information on the cards and the ease of the game, this title might be a fantastic choice for younger players as well as older players.
Unstable Unicorns Expansion Packs:
There are a plethora of expansions available on the market today, including the following:
- Uncut unicorns is an NSFW expansion pack that was created exclusively for folks who wish to increase the shock value of their Cards Against Humanity games. The Dragons expansion pack includes the following features: The game that enhances your experience by including numerous powerful dragons and providing a fresh challenge with each session
- The Unicorns of Legend expansion pack includes the following content: To discover, there is a diverse range of fresh and intriguing unicorns to discover, each with its own unique talents
- The rainbow sprinkles set includes the following items: A collection of basic unicorns that are one-of-a-kind to add to your usual game. This bundle is mostly intended to appeal to art enthusiasts. Expansion pack for The Apocalypse: This includes all four unicorns of the apocalypse, each of which has a significant influence on how the game is played.
Should You Play Unstable Unicorns?
Unstable Unicorns is a game that is simple to learn, simple to play, and enjoyable for practically all members of the family. It is now available for purchase. With appealing artwork and compelling rules, you’ll be certain of having a good time with friends and family if you’re searching for a quick and easy way to laugh with friends and family. You won’t get hours of entertainment value out of Unstable Unicorns since it is not the most tough or strategic game in the world. It is not the most demanding or strategic game in the world.
- Artwork that is visually appealing
- It is simple to learn and play
- A fantastic choice of expansion possibilities are available
- Replayability is quite important.
- There is nothing particularly difficult or unusual about it
- Games don’t endure for very long.
Unstable Unicorns Card Game Review and Rules
There is nothing particularly difficult or unusual about it. Games don’t last very long; they’re over in seconds.
How to Play Unstable Unicorns
- A reference card is given to each participant, who then places it in a prominent location where they can see it. It is up to each player to pick their favorite newborn unicorn and keep it in their stable (the cards played out in front of a player). In the nursery, the remaining newborn unicorns are arranged in a heap in the center of the table. Using a black back on all of the cards, shuffle them all together. Distribute five cards to each participant
- The player wearing the most vibrant attire will be the first to go the stage.
Playing the Game
There are four phases to each player’s turn, which are as follows:
- Beginning of the Turn Phase
- The Draw Phase
- The Action Phase
- And the conclusion of the Turn Phase
Beginning of Turn Phase
An individual player will examine all of the cards in their stable before proceeding with the remainder of their turn. It is possible that the player may be required to do special actions this turn if any of the cards in the current player’s stable include language that begins with “If this card is in your stable at the beginning of your turn.” Depending on how the language is written, the player may be compelled to perform the action, or they may be given the opportunity to choose not to perform it at all.
Consequences on other cards can be triggered by the effects of an action when they are applied to a card.
As of the start of his or her turn, this player had two cards in his or her possession.
It is possible for a player to use their unicorn lasso to take a unicorn card from another player’s stable, but this is not recommended. When their turn was through, they would then return the unicorn to its original owner, who would be delighted.
Following that, the current player will draw one card from the deck.
During the action phase, players have the option of selecting one of two actions. They can begin by selecting one of the cards from their hand to play first. Some cards are played just for the purpose of achieving their effect, and then they are discarded. Additional cards are added to a player’s collection. For further details, please see the card section below. A player can also opt to draw another card from the draw deck if they do not want to do so.
End of Turn Phase
The number of cards in each player’s hand is counted by the players. If they have more than the hand limit of seven cards in their hand (unless amended by another card), they will be forced to discard cards until they have reduced their hand count to less than the hand limit.
Instant Cards: Instant cards can be played at any moment, including during another player’s turn, when another player plays a card, and they can be used to complete a combination of actions. If an instant card is played in response to a card you have already played, you have the option of playing an instant card to negate the instant card that was just played. Players can continue to use instant cards to counter instant cards that have already been played. Upgrade Cards: Upgrade cards are cards that provide an advantage to the player.
- Downgrade Cards: Downgrade cards are often detrimental to the player in front of whom they are played.
- Magic Cards: Magic cards are played with the purpose of producing an effect.
- Once the effect has been applied to the card, it is discarded from the game board.
- Although baby and basic unicorns do not have any unique benefits, they do count towards your overall number of unicorns.
End of Game
A player’s turn in the game is over when he or she has the required number of unicorns in their stable. Before a player may win the game, he or she must apply all of the triggered effects. The number of unicorns required to win the game is determined by the number of players present. For example:
- Two to five players: seven unicorns Six to eight players: six unicorns
Due to the fact that this player has amassed seven unicorn cards, they have won the game. Whenever the draw pile runs out of cards and no one has attained the requisite number of unicorns, the players take turns counting how many unicorns they have in their possession. The person who has the most number of unicorns in his or her stable wins the game. It is decided by the amount of letters in each player’s unicorn names.
If there is a tie, the tied players sum up how many letters they have in their unicorn names. The player with the most number of letters in the names of their unicorns wins. If the score remains tied, all of the players are eliminated.
My Thoughts on Unstable Unicorns
Unstable Unicorns is a game that you shouldn’t evaluate based on its appearance alone. Because of the unicorn theme, the majority of people’s initial impression of Unstable Unicorns is likely to be that the game is intended for younger girls. While the game does not shy away from the use of the unicorn motif, it is likely to appeal to a far broader audience than the theme would suggest. Unstable Unicorns is a card game that is quite standard in its design. You draw and play cards with the objective of getting six or seven unicorns in front of you at the conclusion of the game.
- Unstable Unicorns is a card game that is really simple to learn and play, similar to a lot of other card games of this sort.
- The only real challenge in the game is finding out how to use the special powers of the cards, which is where the majority of the complexity lies.
- A significant amount of time will be spent reading the content on the cards and determining how to effectively utilize the cards.
- It is possible that smaller children may be unable to participate in the game because they will be unable to read and comprehend all of the content.
- With the exception of a few of cards that may be a bit too adult in subtle ways, I don’t see any reason why youngsters between the ages of 8 and 10 couldn’t participate in the game.
- It is possible to play cards in the game that do not have any unique powers and may thus be played at face value.
- The formation of a plan that makes use of the cards in your hand is particularly beneficial, as it allows you to create circumstances where the cards play off one another is advantageous.
For me, the component of Unstable Unicorns and other similar card games that appeals to me the most is the strategy aspect.
Because Unstable Unicorns may be rather chaotic, you’ll need to devise a sound plan to deal with them.
If you play unicorns to your own stable and other cards that provide you with a reward, you may make things easier on yourself.
Your fortune in the game might shift in an instant.
Because you will become a target as soon as you are within striking distance of winning the game, you must try to keep your strategy a secret for as long as possible.
Unless you are able to keep your strategy a secret, your fate is somewhat dependent on the actions of the other players.
The cards themselves are the result of this chaos.
Some cards have no abilities at all, while others have abilities that can completely change the course of a game.
Having said that, if you aren’t dealt any of the good cards, you aren’t going to fare well in the game of poker.
The player who is dealt the best cards will have a distinct advantage over the other players during the course of the game.
Most of the time, I don’t mind the randomness because it’s kind of exciting to know that anything can happen at any time.
The fact that things are constantly changing contributes to the enjoyment of the game.
The good news is that the games are usually quite brief, so even if luck is not on your side, the game will not drag on indefinitely.
Because of how unpredictable the game can be at times, I would estimate that most games should last between 15 and 45 minutes.
There is nothing particularly innovative about the mechanics used in Unstable Unicorns, as they have been used in a number of other card games.
In many other games, the concept of cards possessing special abilities that can be used to benefit yourself or harm others has been introduced.
When it comes to card games, if you’ve never tried your hand at one of these before, it’s not a major deal.
The theme is the only aspect of the game that will be significantly different from the original.
Unicorns can be found everywhere in the game, including on the bodies of some animals who are posing as unicorns.
The fact that the artwork is extremely well done is what really makes the theme stand out.
Even though I don’t believe the theme is compelling enough to serve as the sole reason for purchasing Unstable Unicorns, I believe it will appeal strongly to those who are fans of unicorns.
The quality of the cards is fairly standard for this type of game.
While I enjoyed the artwork on the cards, I believe the text on the cards could have been a little larger.
People who have poor vision may have difficulty reading the cards on the table.
These types of games typically necessitate the use of a large number of cards. When I saw that the game included 135 cards, I was overjoyed. Given the large number of cards available, it is unlikely that you will ever play the same game twice with all of the various possible combinations.
Should You Buy Unstable Unicorns?
While the unicorn motif is likely to turn off some players right away, you shouldn’t make a snap judgment on Unstable Unicorns based just on its cover. Unstable Unicorns is a fun card game to play with friends. The fundamental notion of the game is straightforward. You draw and play cards until someone gets six/seven unicorns in front of them, at which point you end the round. The main challenge of the game is determining the most effective way to combine your cards’ special powers to form a chain of events that finally leads to your triumph.
- This is exacerbated by the fact that not all of the cards are made evenly, resulting in a chance of drawing a card.
- There are a number of additional card games that are extremely similar to this one.
- Unstable Unicorns is a solid card game that isn’t very innovative, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.
- If you already possess one of these types of games and don’t particularly like for the unicorn theme, there isn’t anything particularly compelling about this game that would compel you to purchase it.
- Unstable Unicorns is an excellent buy at a reasonable price, and I suggest it.
How to play Unstable Unicorns
Build up your Unicorn Army from the ground up, starting with a single Baby Unicorn in your stable. The magic of each Magical Unicorn comes with a unique ability, but don’t underestimate the might of the Basic Unicorns! Upgrades and downgrades can be used to safeguard and increase the size of your stable. Instant Cards prevent other players from putting down a card, thus they’ll either be your best friend or your deadliest adversary depending on how they’re used.
- 13 Baby Unicorn cards, 22 Basic Unicorn cards, 30 Magical Unicorn cards, 23 Magic cards, 8 Downgrade cards, 14 Upgrade cards, 14 Instant cards, and a rulebook are all included.
Object of the Game
Wins are awarded to those who arrive first with the requisite number of unicorns in their Stable. Everyone is required to submit to them. They will be referred to as The Righteous Ruler of All Things Magical from this point on. or at least until the next game is played
- 3 – 5 players: 7 Unicorns to be victorious
- To win, you must have six unicorns in your party of eight.
All of the Baby Unicorns from the deck should be gathered and placed in the Stable of each player. Stack the remaining Baby Unicorns on top of one another.
This will serve as your nursery space. The remaining cards should be shuffled, and 5 cards should be dealt to each player. The remainder of the stack will be used as your Draw Pile (see below). The unicorniest person is clearly the one that is wearing the most colors, therefore they get to go first!
Turns are taken in a clockwise direction around the table, and each turn is comprised of four parts.
Beginning of Your Turn
- If any of your cards has an effect that occurs “at the beginning of your turn,” you may use that effect at any time during your turn. Unless you remember to do that before you start drawing, you will not be able to use that effect.
- Play one card from your hand at a time. Alternatively, draw one extra card from the Draw Pile.
End of Your Turn
- Discard cards until you reach the hand limit. (If you have more than seven cards in your hand)
You can use an Instant Card at any moment to prevent someone else from playing a hand of cards. After you’ve finished using the Instant Card, place it in the Discard Pile.
In order to have a good influence on someone’s Stable, you must play an Upgrade Card during your turn. You may always use your own Stable as a starting point!
In order to have a negative influence on someone’s Stable, you must play a Downgrade Card during your turn. (Of course, you should choose an opponent’s Stable!)
During your turn, use a Magic Card to wreak havoc on the board. After you’ve used the Magic Card, place it in the Discard Pile.
During your turn, place a Magical Unicorn Card in your Stable to use it as a playable card. Every single one of them possesses a unique ability!
During your turn, you can use a Basic Unicorn to play a game by placing it in your Stable. They don’t have any particular abilities, yet they are still unique!
Upon entering the game, each player has a Baby Unicorn in their Stable. Only by employing special cards will you be able to summon more!
What if you run out of cards
In the event that you are a stickler for details, the game will stop when you run out of cards. If no one completes their Unicorn Army, no one will be able to claim the title of The Righteous Ruler of All Magical Things. If you’re a rule-breaker, you can rearrange the discard pile back into the deck after you’ve run out of cards if you want to keep playing. You know it’s against the rules, but you couldn’t give a damn. You’re a troublemaker. Congratulations on your accomplishment. You will be eliminated from the game if you are a Baby Unicorn and flip the table.
You’re better than that, believe me.
If you have fewer than seven cards in your hand, resist the temptation to draw more.
If you run out of Baby Unicorn cards at any time throughout the game, go through your pockets for spare coins, gum wrappers, or lint to use as substitutes for new babies.
End of the Game
The one who completes their Unicorn Army first is the winner!
Words you need to know
Your Unicorns, Upgrades, and Downgrades are kept in the Stable section for safekeeping. Cards presently in a player’s Stable are considered to be in play. Incorporate Immediately into the Playing Field: Add the card to your Stable as soon as possible. This does not count as a part of your Action for the current turn.
Send a card from your Stable to the Discard Pile in exchange for a sacrifice. Send a card from another player’s Stable to the Discard Pile when you destroy a card. Send a card from your hand to the Discard Pile by pressing the Discard button. Read on for more information.
Unstable Unicorns Review: Is This Game Worth the Splurge?
Unstable Unicorns is a card game that was created by the same people that created Exploding Kittens. It is a game of strategy and luck. The review of Unstable Unicorns will go into detail about what makes this game worth the money spent on it. If you’ve been wondering about purchasing this game for yourself or for someone else, keep reading to find out more information!
|Playing Time||30-45 minutes|
|Included Components||Magnetic closure box, 135 cards, 1 rulebook|
What are Unstable Unicorns?
Unstable Unicorns is a card game that may be enjoyed by players of all ages, whether they are 12 or 72 years old. This game was designed by the same firm that brought us Exploding Kittens, and it shows in the overall quality of the game. It is the goal of Unstable Unicorns to get rid of your cards as quickly as possible while earning points along the way thanks to the specific skills of each character! There are also ‘Curse’ cards, which can cause havoc in someone else’s hand if they land face up before the hand is returned to the player.
This game is absolutely worth the money you’ll spend on it! You may play it in small groups or huge school classes (there are 54 unique unicorn cards that you won’t find in any other version of the game), and there are a plethora of expansion packs available to provide even more excitement.
It is necessary to use two decks of cards in Unstable Unicorns, the main deck and the modifier deck, in order to play the game. The game begins with each player drawing up to six unicorn cards into their hand, which they must keep hidden from the other players until the end of the game! Following this moment, the decks are shuffled. The players then take turns laying down one card at a time, face up, in the center of the playing field (the table). If you win that round, you’ll be pleased to know that these cards will be added to your scoring pile, but if you lose, they will be placed in front of you where everyone can see them — this is referred to as your discard pile.
Winning The Game
When someone wins by getting rid of all of their cards first, or when the deck runs out of cards altogether, players pick up their discard piles and place them back in their hands to continue playing. The other players continue until there is only one player left with cards in hand! This is the winner of that round, and they collect all of the points that have been gained by everyone else up to that point. After that, it is time to start a new round of the game.
Gameplay, Complexity, and Replayability
Because of its simplicity and ease of play, Unstable Unicorns is a fantastic game for players of all ages. Despite the fact that it may be utilized to play in large groups, this review suggests playing with only two or three people at a time in order to get the most fun out of it! There are many professionals who have worked on other popular games, such as Exploding Kittens, who have contributed to the creation of this card game, which is immensely enjoyable to play with a variety of friends in an informal atmosphere.
This kit also comes with step-by-step instructions, making it simple for anybody to put together. Alternatively, if you want to try something new every now and again, there are expansions available.
Components and Artwork Quality
The cards themselves are composed of high-quality materials and feel excellent in your hands when you’re holding them in your hands. The collection has over 100 cards, each of which is individually drawn and features artwork in a variety of styles from a variety of artists. There is also a deck of modifier cards that may be used to enhance or hinder your gaming. All of them combine together to form a coherent deck; yet, everyone’s experience may be somewhat different because some individuals like specific artwork over others (no doubt because they enjoy unicorns!).
When it comes to the components, there are 100 cards (each with a unique piece of artwork), 54 Unicorn Cards (each with 54 distinct character skills), and 46 modifier cards in the game.
When it comes to quality, I’d say this game definitely exceeds expectations because it’s constructed with high-quality materials, has a variety of art styles on the card backs that make them all appear to fit together even though they’re all completely different drawings, and includes clear instructions so you’ll have no trouble getting started.
Tips for Playing Unstable Unicorns
Unstable Unicorns is a card game, and like with any card games, there are several factors you should keep in mind when playing. First and foremost, make every effort to get rid of your cards as fast as possible; this will offer you the best chance of winning the game! Also, avoid letting others know what you have in your hand or how many cards you have remaining because doing so may force them to think twice about using certain sorts of modifier cards against you in the future. Finally, if someone comes close to beating you, don’t be concerned about attempting for one more round only to make them lose points instead — it may be in everyone’s best interests if someone else wins instead of you!
This requires practice and a lot of patience, since you may have to wait till your time comes around again, but you’ll get there in the end!
Unstable Unicorns isn’t without its flaws, though.
It also takes longer than other games we’ve tried, especially when teaching new players how to play (and how to top-deck), and if someone has never played before, they may feel like the game is finished before they’ve even gotten a chance to accomplish anything.
Some folks who want a longer-lasting experience may find themselves unable to play as frequently as they would have liked as a result of these factors, but considering the design decisions made by those responsible for making Unstable Unicorns, we’ll forgive them.
How Long Does a Game Usually Take?
The length of time it takes to play Unstable Unicorns is determined on the number of individuals participating. If there are four participants, each game can go up to 30 minutes or more, but if there are just two of you, the game is generally over in 15-20 minutes!
How Long Does a Round Last?
Each round takes around five minutes, which is the primary reason we picked this as our family card game: everyone gets their turn fast and doesn’t become bored while waiting (particularly with smaller children)! This was also essential to us since, while some other games may be slightly shorter in duration, they tend to require quite a bit of explanation before beginning, which is not ideal when attempting to squeeze gaming into a hectic schedule.
How Much Time Does a New Player Need?
A new player would require around 20-30 minutes to become familiar with the regulations and play their first round of golf. Furthermore, they must understand how many points they should receive from each card, although most people learn this after only one game, and if they don’t, you can always educate them if they need it!
What Age Range Is This Suitable for?
Due to the fact that younger children may not completely comprehend some of the ideas involved or cope well with other players who are more experienced at playing games in general, Unstable Unicorns is best suited for children aged seven and above. Losing may be frustrating for anybody, including adults. On top of that, there isn’t much instructional value in this game, so it’s essentially simply a fun game to play like any other board or card game, with no special rules.
Pros and Cons
The game is simple to learn and comprehend once you get the hang of it. Besides that, it’s a lot of fun, especially if you appreciate card games (which I assume most people do). As a result, it is an excellent family game for people of all ages! Because there are only so many ways to win or lose in each round, some players have expressed concern that they would become bored after playing numerous times in one sitting. This may lead them to seek out games that are more demanding or sophisticated, but not everyone enjoys those kind of games.
It does take longer than other activities we’ve done, and it isn’t the most educational activity available, so if that is what you were looking for, you might want to seek elsewhere for something different for your children (or just use this as a fun way to spend some time together).
Excellent for people of all ages Components of superior grade After a while, it may become monotonous if you play it too much.
Playing Unstable Unicorns is a lot of fun if you appreciate card games that encourage you to think strategically rather than relying on chance. Fans of Exploding Kittens will be pleased to hear that it has been produced by the same team, which means that you can anticipate comparable high-quality components, as well as stunning artwork, in this game.
Result4.8Unstable Unicorns is a fantastic game for players of all ages, and we’ve had a lot of fun playing it so far. It does take longer to play than comparable choices, but the amount of enjoyment that everyone receives from it may make it worthwhile to put in the extra effort to play!
Learn Unstable Unicorns rules fast with our easy to read guide
In contrast to cards in your Stable, cards in your hand have no impact when compared to cards in your Stable. Unicorn, Upgrade, and Downgrade card effects are only active while they are in your Stable and have no effect when they are in your hand. Steps to Getting into and Leaving Your Stable Every time you play, steal, or bring a Unicorn into your Stable, it counts as one of the actions of ” Entering your Stable “. It counts as ” Leaving your Stable ” if a Unicorn card is sacrificed, destroyed, or stolen from your possession.
optional: Some effects, such as “Discard a card,” are required, but others, such as “Discard a card,” are optional.
- If a card does not contain the word “may,” it is safe to conclude that it is obligatory.
If you fail to utilize an optional effect on a card that specifies “If this card is in your Stable at the beginning of your turn,” you will not be able to use it if you draw a card during your draw phase before your turn ends. If an effect is required, you must still perform it if you or another player becomes aware that you have failed to perform the effect. Effects at the start of the turn: Because their effects occur concurrently if you have several cards that declare “If this card is in your Stable at the beginning of your turn,” you can use them all at the same time.
- Neighing Card Effects: Neigh cards may only be used to prevent a player from playing a card in their hand; you cannot Neigh a card effect.
- “If this card is in your stable at the beginning of your turn, destroy a Unicorn card,” is an example of an effect that cannot be stopped by a Neigh card.
- Any player refers to any individual player, which includes you.
- You are included in the group of players referred to as “each player.” Choosing Player Targets for Effects: In this game, there are two different play styles that may be employed for player targeting:
- THE FIRST OPTION (THE SIMPLEST): When you play a card with an effect, you must designate which player or players you are targeting before you may use the effect. Choosing to answer with a Neigh card helps players to make a more informed decision. ADVANCED OPTION: When you play a card with an effect, players must decide whether or not they wish to use a Neigh card before you can pick your targets.
Both choices are feasible for gaming, so you may choose your own set of house rules to ensure uniformity throughout the game, if you so want. Searching for Cards: Some card effects enable you to search for a card by looking through the deck or the discard pile. As soon as you have recovered that card, you must disclose the card you choose to each other player before adding it to your deck. How to Get Rid of Downgrade Cards: Some card effects provide you the ability to directly delete Downgrade cards from your collection.
Numerous Action Card Effects: Card effects that require multiple actions are sometimes separated by the word “then.” Consider the following scenario: “Sacrifice a Unicorn card, then draw a card.” If a card has the word “then” on it, you can only conduct the second action if you have completed the first successfully.
Performing Impossible Actions:Occasionally, the effect of a card in your Stable or the effect of a card played by another player may demand you to complete an impossible action.
If this occurs, do not take any action in response to it. Discarding when you don’t have any cards in your hand is an example of this. When you don’t have any cards in your Stable, you must sacrifice a card. A card that cannot be sacrificed is being sacrificed.
How to Play Unstable Unicorns with 2-6 Players – Lymyted
So you’ve managed to get your hands on some Unstable Unicorns! It garnered a whopping $1.8 million USD on Kickstarter, which can only imply one thing: this game is really incredible! Unstable Unicorns, in contrast to Exploding Kittens, may be played again and over again. What the hell is the best way to play Unstable Unicorns? It is unfortunate that there are currently no universities that offer undergraduate degrees in Unstable Unicorns. If you don’t already have Unstable Unicorns, you can purchase them online for for £14.99 with free UK shipping.
Consider purchasing an expansion pack.
We play Unstable Unicorns in the manner described here; but, if there is anything we are doing incorrectly, please let us know!
In this game, the goal is straightforward.
First Things First
After you’ve opened your Unstable Unicorns, you should have a set of White Backed Cards, a set of Black Backed Cards, and a few reference cards in your possession. Get out the White Backed Cards and give them a nice shuffle because you know there is a cheater amongst you, believe it or not. Distribute one of these Baby Unicorn Cards to each player and arrange the remaining cards in the middle, face down. This area will be referred to as the Nursery. Toss the Black Backed Cards into the shuffler and repeat the process three more times.
As soon as these have been dealt, the remaining of the cards will be referred to as the Draw Pile.
Unstable Unicorns 2 Player Specific Rules
In the event that you are playing with two players, take out two Neigh Cards and place one in each player’s stable. Please also delete the following cards from your collection, as they will not be utilized in the Unstable Unicorns 2 Player Edition. All of the basic unicorns, including the Narwhal, Extra Tail, and Queen Bee Unicorn, are included. Mane with a Rainbow Color Unicorn with a rainbow mane Unicorn with Extreme Fertility Video Recording of the Nanny Sadistic Rituals are performed. Glitter Bomb – Take It Slow Yay!
2-6 Player Specific Rules
For those of you who are playing with more than two players, once you have shuffled the Unstable Unicorn cards with the black backs, distribute five cards to each player, with the remaining cards constituting the Draw Pile. This will be placed next to the Nursery, with the cards once again facing down.
Provide each player with a reference card so that they won’t be able to complain about forgetting! The individual who is dressed in the most vibrant clothing is the first to go around the table, and the process continues clockwise around the table.
Your Turn – Unstable Unicorns
Unstable Unicorns is a game in which rounds are played. Each turn is made up of four phases, one after the other. 1) The start of your turn is the first step. If any of your cards state that you should do anything at the start of your turn, do it now! Otherwise, you will miss out on your opportunity and will not be able to make up for it, no matter how much you scream and how much you scream. 2) The Design Phase Take a card from the draw pile and play it. It’s as simple as pie! 3) The Execution Phase Play one card from your hand or draw another card from the Draw Pile to complete the round.
Afterwards, any extra cards will be placed in the Discard Pile.
In order to win, you must have the most number of Unicorns in your stable.
Card Types in Unstable Unicorns
In Unstable Unicorns, there are seven distinct card kinds to choose from: Instant: This card may be played at any moment and is frequently used to prevent someone from playing a card in the future. Once a card has been played, it is placed in the Discard pile. Upgrade: Increase the stability of your system. You may use this card on anybody, even yourself, and it will be accepted. Downgrade: Play this card to have a bad impact on someone else. Magic: Play this card on your own terms to wreak havoc on your opponents.
- Unicorn with Magical Powers: Keep this card in your Stable for magical effects!
- a Baby Unicorn is given to each player at the beginning of the game.
- Perhaps now that you have learned how to play Unstable Unicorns, you can put Cards against Humanity on the back burner for the time being.
- The greatest time to play NSFW is when you’re with your crush or when you’re drinking a lot of alcohol.
- We now have Unstable Unicorns of Legend in stock, which is the most recent expansion for the game.
GAME REVIEW: UNSTABLE UNICORNS 2ND EDITION
Photo courtesy of The Pop Insider When the world is full of terrible news,unicornsoffer the perfect retreat. Pick up the Unstable Unicorns 2nd Edition set from Unstable Games if you’re looking for the pick-me-up we’re all in need of right now. After all, who could really be angry when they had an army of mythical beings at their disposal? Precaution: You may be compelled to betray the other players in this game; thus, make sure you’re prepared for the possibility that the only individuals who know your whereabouts will not talk to you.
When playing with two to five people, the goal is to gather seven unicorns, whereas when playing with six to eight players the goal is to collect six unicorns.
The fact that I don’t have eight people in my flat (thank goodness) meant that my combat was limited to only two players.
When I was discarding (pun partially intended), my favorite characters were the scarved hipster who only listens to mixtapes and the narwhal who “doesn’t have any unique abilities, but she definitely is gorgeous.” Although I believe that this game would be more enjoyable with more players because you can do damage to more than one person and use more cards, I will have to wait until next month (or next year?) to put that idea to the test.
- Photo courtesy of The Pop Insider The principle is straightforward, yet achieving your goal will need a significant amount of effort.
- The skills of each one vary, but they all have the ability to make your army stronger or to demolish your opponent’s stable.
- It may appear to be a lot, but in practice, everything becomes second nature, especially if you maintain the rule reference card by your side at all times.
- The individual who best embodies the unicorn’s deepest inside thoughts is the first to be chosen (meaning the person who is wearing more colors).
- Immediately before the game begins, each player places one baby unicorn face up in front of them and draws five cards from the shuffled play deck to begin.
- When playing Claw Machine, you can discard a card and then draw another card to make your hand bigger.
- To play a unicorn card, you must first place it in either your own or your opponent’s stable.
- If you add the Broken Stable card to someone else’s stable, for example, they will be unable to play any improvement cards until they obtain a unicorn that will demolish the Broken Stable card.
- These are also included on the reference card to make it easier for you to recall them.
- While the cards you are dealt are dependent on chance, planning how to exploit them to their most potential can make it simpler to win the game and win the reward.
- Adding a fresh twist to the game and a new humorous design to the deck, each card has the potential to make people laugh even in our modern day and age.
That is something I believe we can all learn from. So transform yourself into a uni-panda, gather the folks you’ve been forced to live with, and set off to assemble your army of hope, glitter, and mayhem.
An Army of GlitterMayhem
Rule the world by defeating your friends. In this thrilling and colorful game, players must assemble an army of unicorns in order to beat their opponents. If you play for around 30-60 minutes, you should be able to spot unicorns on every side of the rainbow. Each card provides a fresh source of amusement as well as a new opportunity to vanquish your opponents.
Unstable Unicorns Review & Party Card Game Guide
Recently, there has been an uptick in the number of outrageously funny party games that make heavy use of quirky artwork to create an entertaining experience (Exploding Kittens, Bear vs. Babies, etc.). However, once the laughter has subsided, these games are generally considered to be rather mediocre. They’re still entertaining when played with new players, but they don’t really come out of the cupboard till someone new comes to the table to play with them. Is it true that Unstable Unicorns fall under this category?
See for ourselves by reading our Unstable Unicorns review (Or you could just skip to theTL;DR).
Brief Overview of Unstable Unicorns
Make a Unicorn Army out of cardboard boxes. Betrayed Your Friends is a crime. Unicorns Are Your New Best Friends. Known for its quirky nature, Unstable Unicorns is a card game in which players acquire unicorns to add to their stables while simultaneously playing cards to cause confusion among their opponents. The artwork and humor in the game are all done in a lighthearted manner. When I saw some of the cards, I literally burst out laughing and couldn’t stop myself from laughing. The “BASIC” unicorns on the “BASIC” unicorn cards are all there is on the basic unicorn cards.
It’s ridiculous, but it’s also entertaining.
Allow your Unstable Unicorns game to lift off into the sky! This update adds a slew of dragon-themed enhancements to the game, as well as several new unicorns. My personal favorite is the Unicorn with the Dragon Tattoo, which you can read about here. Clearly, the game’s sense of humour hasn’t shifted in any way. New skills and dragon-based attacks are introduced as a result of the introduction of dragons, resulting in even more cute mayhem. This set contains 54 Fire-breathing Cards**. Fire should not be exhaled by cards in this case).
- Unicorns with a shaky foundation It is intended to be used in conjunction with the Dragons Expansion Pack, which includes dragon-themed characters as well as magic cards. Unstable Unicorns is a card game with a strategic element that will destroy your
Unstable Unicorns: Rainbow Apocalypse Expansion Pack
Kill your foes with compassion. or with a big pandemic, if you choose. This extension gives you the opportunity to double-dip. It includes both the Rainbow Sprinkle expansion, which has 27 new lovely cards that are nauseatingly cute, as well as some really damaging cards that will wipe out your opponents’ unicorns (if they have any). Unicorns with a shaky foundation Expansion Pack for Rainbow Apocalypse
- Unicorns with a shaky foundation A new expansion pack for the game Rainbow Apocalypse has been created
- This pack comprises cards ranging from very charming unicorns to the
- Unstable Unicorns is a card game with a strategic element that will destroy your
Unstable Unicorns: Unicorns of Legend Expansion Pack
It may seem a little redundant, considering unicorns are pretty legendary on their own, so what does this expansion add?
The Unicorn of Legend expansion gives me a DungeonsDragons vibe by adding fantasy-themed cards. There are guardsmen, paladins, and a host of new cards to mix up the game. Unstable Unicorns: Unicorns of Legends Expansion
- Unicorns with a shaky foundation A new Unicorns of Legend Expansion Pack has been created
- This pack contains fantasy-themed characters, magic cards, and other items. Unstable Unicorns is a card game with a strategic element that will destroy your
Unstable Unicorns: NSFW Edition
Unicorns with a shaky base There is a new expansion pack for Unicorns of Legend, which contains characters and magic cards with a fantasy theme. This is a strategic card game that will kill your; Unstable Unicorns is a card game that will destroy your
- The NSFW edition of Unstable Unicorns is still a strategy game
- The game plays in the same way as the original
- And it has the same number of characters as the original. Unstable Unicorns took home the People’s Choice Award for Toy of the Year in 2019.
Unboxing Unstable Unicorns
When it comes to packaging, Unstable Unicorns is a little product, but as the phrase goes, “good things come in small packages.” When it comes to card-only games, the box and storage are both excellent, as is generally the case. The box is really durable, and it is likely to withstand a few blows. It’s unlikely that you’ll need to sleeve anything unless you really want to, because the cards themselves are of great quality. If you do, though, they will very certainly not fit back inside the box.
The cards are beautiful and strong, and the game contains everything I could desire in a card game in a beautiful packaging.
Find out how fragile your friendships actually are by taking this quiz. It is a really basic game to learn, but it has a significant amount of strategy built into it, which prevents the game from becoming bland. Beginning with the first player, he or she will draw a card and then have the option of playing a hand or drawing another card. It’s quite straightforward. The cards themselves are what adds to the intricacy of the situation. As a result, there are several cards in the game that have an impact on everyone at the table.
In order to win, you’ll need to think strategically.
- You’ll need 7 cards for a game with 2-5 players. You’ll need six players for a game with six to eight players.
Because there are so many chain reaction cards that may be played, a winner can only be determined after all of the cards in a round have been dealt with and resolved. For example, if you play a card that increases the number of unicorns in your stable to 7, but you lose one of those unicorns as a result of a series of card responses, you will not be proclaimed the winner.
There are various distinct sorts of cards in the game, including the following:
- Magical Unicorn
- Basic Unicorn
- Baby Unicorn
Instant: Instant cards can be played at any time, and the effects of the cards take effect immediately after the card is played. These can be counter cards, sometimes known as Neigh cards, which I’ll discuss in more detail later. Upgrading your unicorns is something you can truly do. Who would have thought it? Each improvement provides your stable with some sort of benefit that will be beneficial to you. You could find yourself with a Rainbow Mane in your stable, which allows you to add other unicorns to your stable as a free action, or you might find yourself with a Glitter Bomb in your stable, which allows you to blow up other unicorns as a free action.
- You may also lower the stables of other players if you want to be on the other end of the scale.
- Wizardry: While these cards have a favorable impact on you, they may also cause havoc for other players.
- This will allow you to get rid of a negative influence in your own stable or meddle with the unicorns of another person.
- Allow the small man to completely demolish everything.
- Magical Unicorn: These gentlemen occupy the highest position in the unicorn hierarchy.
- The Ginormous Unicorn is by far and away my favorite.
- Unfortunately, you will be unable to participate in any instant games while it is in your stable.
- Their talents are limited, yet they are entertaining and endearing to watch.
Baby Unicorns: You’ll begin the game with only one of these adorable tiny creatures in your possession. Unless otherwise stated on the card, it is the only baby unicorn you will receive. In the event that someone plays a harsh card or attempts to steal or murder your unicorns, what would you do?
Let’s face it, neighbor cards are hilariously amusing in their puns. Aside from that, they are quite strong. Cards played next to each other cancel out the effects of a card played by another player. The NEIGH key can be dropped to prevent someone from pursuing your lovely Chainsaw Unicorn. This will effectively cancel off their action. When one unicorn neighs, it is almost certain that others will follow. While it is possible to Neigh a Neigh, it is not possible to Neigh a SUPER NEIGH. I’m not even sure what I’m saying at this point.
With a Neigh, you can cancel out anything that is played by someone else that you don’t like.
The Super Neigh card accomplishes the same thing, except it is invulnerable to blocking.
Your First Game of Unstable Unicorns
First and foremost, go change your clothing. I’ll wait for you. Something vibrant and eye-catching. Preferably in the form of a rainbow. According to the regulations, the player who has the most number of colors on his or her person goes first. Unstable Unicorns is a game that is relatively simple to set up and play. Everyone starts with a single newborn unicorn in their stable, and it grows from there. It doesn’t matter what color or which one you buy, as long as it’s one of the baby ones, since that’s all that matters.
It’s not a terribly difficult game to play.
If you can obtain a Super Neigh, it is likely that you will have the most valuable card in your collection.
- Adorable piece of artwork
- Setup is simple, and the game is quick to play
- More durable than similar sorts of games in terms of shelf life Surprisingly little good fortune was involved
Okay, let’s speak about the elephant (or unicorn) in the room, which is the piece of art in question. This is the primary attraction for the majority of individuals, and it is what first draws them to the game. It’s amusing and occasionally terrifying at the same time. Exactly the ideal combination of quirky and charming that I really appreciate. It’s likely that you’re purchasing this item because of the package. The game itself is quite simple to play, and it can be set up and taken down in a short amount of time.
For a game of this size, there is a surprising amount of strategy involved.
Yes, the luck of the draw adds an element of unpredictability to the game, but it is the timing and manner in which you play your cards that will determine your success or failure in the game.
Overall, I’m rather impressed with what they’ve been able to do in this space. They’ve managed to transform a really ridiculous gimmick into a legitimate gaming experience.
- Expect nothing short of a game-changing breakthrough. It is possible that the process will take longer than anticipated. The atmosphere may be rather gloomy at times.
I’ll get to my pet peeves about the game now. There isn’t much to criticize, but I’ll give it my best go. The game has several Fluxx-like loops, which means that you may become stuck in a never-ending game if you play it long enough. The game finishes when someone has accumulated a sufficient number of unicorns in their stable, but it also ends when there are no more cards in the draw pile to be drawn. As an added bonus, there are some cards that force you to rearrange the discard pile back into the draw pile.
- From a design sense, I get where they were going, but every now and again, a game may become really tedious.
- Even while the artwork is cute and extremely tongue in cheek, it can become rather gloomy very fast due to the nature of the story.
- Consider how bizarre this is; some of the younger demographic could be drawn in by the brilliant and beautiful artwork, only to see their beloved unicorn slaughtered in front of their eyes as a result of this.
- Despite the fact that there is no graphic violence or anything, I wanted to put it out there so that parents may make an informed decision.
- Several inane jokes are sprinkled throughout the book.
Unstable Unicorns Review (TL;DR)
Unstable Unicorn is an amusing card game for 2-8 players with charming and occasionally scary artwork. It is designed for 2-8 players. The goal is for players to stock their stables with 7 or 6 unicorns in order to win (depending on the number of players). In the game, there is a very small amount of chance involved. The only aspects of chance are the card draws, but in order to be successful in the game, players must use time and strategy throughout the game. It’s simple to set up and play, and most games only take a short period of time, which is convenient.
I was anticipating another another gimmicky game that would only last a few playthroughs before I became completely disinterested in playing it. Unstable Unicorns is one of the rare games that has managed to maintain its popularity throughout time. Behind the zany appearance lies a rather entertaining game. The artwork and concept are obviously beneficial, yet the book stands on its own rather nicely. It’s especially beneficial for teenagers and college students who haven’t fully grown up yet.
The artwork is appealing to children, but some of the comedy may be lost on them due to the subject matter.
Because it has a broad appeal, you may be able to persuade people who are not normally interested in board games to participate. It’s also a lot of fun to play in the local bar. Unicorns with a shaky foundation
- Make a Unicorn Army out of cardboard boxes. Betrayed Your Friends is a crime. Unicorns belong to you
- Unstable Unicorns is a card game with a strategic element that will destroy your
- The game was one of the top 100 most funded projects on Kickstarter at the time of its release.
We hope you found our Unstable Unicorns review to be informative and entertaining! Have you tried your hand at Unstable Unicorns? Which of these unicorns is your favorite? We’d love to hear what you have to say! Send us an email or leave a comment below and tell us how unstable you really are.