The 7 Best Mahjong Sets of 2022
Discover more about our review method here. Our editors independently investigate, test, and suggest the finest goods. We may gain a commission if you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links. The Spruce / Kilito Chan is a song by Kilito Chan. There are many different ways to play mahjong, ranging from the original Chinese game to an American variant that is similar to the card game gin rumm. Here are some examples of how to play mahjong. However, regardless of your favorite approach for this four-player tabletop game, you’ll need a complete mahjong set in order to get started.
When it comes to your gaming experience, material and design may make a significant difference.
Pay close attention to the amount of tiles, which is also vital (some variations on the game require more than others).
Here are a few of our favorite Mahjong sets to get you started: Our Favorite Selections This kit contains a case, 146 durable tiles, dice, and a wind indicator, all of which are decorated with traditional Chinese characters and imagery.
- Read the full review.
- Check out the review This is the second most affordable Mahjong set on this list, and it includes everything you need to play classic Mahjong games.
- Check out the review In this game, which has 166 tiles that are engraved with both Chinese characters and Arabic numerals, players can choose whether to follow American or Chinese rules.
- Check out the review 14 and up |Number of tiles: 146 |Material: Melamine tiles and a plastic casing |Age Range: 14 and up Yellow Mountain Imports has created a set that incorporates traditional Chinese characters and symbols.
- However, if you want to play the American version of the game, this collection does not have sufficient tiles.
- With a compact vinyl cover included, this is an excellent portable alternative for those who want to play games on the go.
- 16 and up |Number of tiles: 166 |Material: Melamine tiles and a fabric case |Age Range: 16 and up This set is perfect for players from the United States: 166 strong, scratch-resistant melamine tiles, plus 6 extras, are included in the set (both jokers and blanks).
- All of the pieces are meant to be transported, including tile trays that feature lids, quilt wraps for the trays and the pushers, and a carrying case that is evocative of the Vera Bradley bags that are available in a variety of patterns.
Suitable for children aged 6 and up |Number of tiles: Not specified |Material: Wooden tiles and a wooden casing Many of the other mahjong sets on this list are composed of plastic tiles, but this set by Verve Culture (a female-owned firm that curates handmade things manufactured by local craftsmen) is constructed entirely of hardwood tiles.
- This mahjong set successfully combines usefulness and aesthetics.
- 10 and up |Number of tiles: 144 |Material: Melamine tiles |Age range: 10 and up It’s hard to beat this set of 144 tiles, which are etched with Arabic numerals as well as Chinese characters, if you’re searching for a budget-friendly alternative to traditional Chinese games.
- As well as the game itself, the package includes a carrying bag and detailed instructions on how to play it (in English).
- set includes 166 tiles that have been etched and painted before being assembled.
- Along with the racks, there are also chips and dice, as well as a wind indicator, and an instruction booklet.
- You’ll love the ease of this set: Everything is included that you’ll need to play the game (so you won’t need to purchase racks or pushers separately).
- From the age of ten and up |The number of tiles is 166 |The material is made of melamine tiles and a redwood veneer casing Due to the fact that it contains 166 tiles, this Mahjong set from Young Mountain Imports may be played according to either American or Chinese mahjong rules.
A beginning audience, who may be unfamiliar with the characters, will benefit from the fact that the tiles are made of melamine and are etched with both Chinese characters and Arabic numerals.
The age range is all ages, and the material is paper.
However, if you are afraid that the characters on the tiles will make it feel unapproachable for young players, you might want to try using this alternative, which utilizes cards instead of tiles.
On the cards, you’ll discover lovely images of animals from all around Asia, including several from Japan.
Finally, a decision has been reached.
However, we believe the Yellow Mountain Imports mahjong set (see on Amazon) is a fantastic pick for a traditional take on the ancient game due to its classic design.
Madeleine Burry, who has spent years playing dominoes and rummy, has become attracted by the game of mahjong.
Besides writing for The Spruce since 2019, you can find her work on a variety of other websites, such as Apartment Therapy, Preventive Medicine & Health, and Livestrong, where she has been published.
5 Best Mahjong Sets – Feb. 2022
If you’re looking to play a new style of board game, you might want to consider going back in time. Mahjong is one of the oldest board games that is being played today, and it provides a fantastic combination of entertainment and strategy. For beginners, Mahjong can be a bit perplexing at first, and it takes a lot of practice to become proficient at it. When it comes to Chinese character readings, they are beautiful, but they may be tough to discern for those who are not fluent in the language.
Nonetheless, if you understand how to play, you will almost certainly get addicted.
If you’re ready to make a purchase, take a look at one of our top choices.
What is Mahjong?
Mahjong is a four-player tabletop game that makes use of the 136 tiles that come with the set (although some newer versions use more tiles). Players seek to put together related sets of the different tiles, which is essentially a strategy game that also needs some observation and a little amount of luck on their part. Mahjong, like the card game gin rummy, is a game in which you must gather matching tiles or tiles in a sequential sequence in order to win. A wide variety of mahjong sets are available in a variety of combinations.
Here is a summary of some of the more popular Mahjong variations available today.
- Chinese classic: The traditional Chinese game comprises 136 tiles, with 28 honor tiles being the most prominent. Hong Kong: This version, like the Chinese original version, makes use of 136 tiles, however the scoring regulations are a little different than in China. Japanese: The Japanese version of the game is quite popular, and many artists have used it to reflect the game’s beauty in their works. In addition, it is the version that is utilized in the great majority of competitions. Korean: Korean Mahjong is a tile-based game that requires only 104 tiles and may be played by up to three people. 152 tiles are used in this game, with the addition of several honor tiles, which provides for more playing alternatives. Modern American: Taiwanese: With 144 tiles, the Taiwanese version has a few differences in playing regulations from the Chinese classic version
- For example, the Taiwanese version has a different scoring system. Three-player: In the three-player version of Mahjong, you’ll only need 110 tiles, which makes for a quick game of Mahjong.
There are, of course, many of additional variations. Even within the versions we’ve mentioned, there are sub-versions available that utilize a different number of tiles or have slightly different rules from the main version we’ve described. A few tiles from some Mahjong sets may be removed from the game to make them function for these distinct versions of Mahjong. As a result, if you desire a certain version, carefully read the product description to confirm that it meets your requirements.
An individual Mahjong tile is made up of two pieces. The figure is shown on the white section of the tile (occasionally, this portion is black). The tile’s front side is seen here. The rear portion of the tile is made up of a piece that is colored. This part provides the tile with the necessary depth to allow it to stand upright, allowing the player to view the character clearly on the tile. A few people have a strong preference when it comes to the color of the rear area. A typical color for the backs is green, while alternative colors such as translucent and glittering backs are also available.
In addition to selecting a Mahjong set that matches the type of game play you want, you should pay close attention to the artwork.
The figures and colors on the face of the Mahjong tiles are really attractive. They are, however, all a bit different from one another. When it comes to aesthetics, pay great attention to the characters and colors that appear on the tiles if they are significant to you.
If you want to save a little money, you may go for thinner Mahjong tiles instead of thicker ones. These tiles will not be able to stand on their own without assistance. Racks will be required for this sort of set up. Consider these to be racks for Scrabble tiles, if you will. The racks keep the Mahjong tiles upright, allowing them to be created thinner than they would otherwise be.
Mahjong set prices
Affordably priced: Mahjong sets made of plastic tiles may be purchased for between $25 and $75. They are typically thinner in build and feature smaller tile faces than other types of flooring. Some Mahjong sets will contain extras such as dice, chips, and racks, among other things. These goods enable for additional sorts of games to be played or can make game play easier, but they will increase the price of the set by a little amount. (Most Mahjong sets come with a carrying case, which is standard.) Mid-range: The most costly Mahjong sets, which may cost between $75 and $200, may be made of bone, bamboo, or ivory tiles, as well as other materials.
Expensive: Expensive sets that sell for $200 or more have incredible craftsmanship and may be considered collector’s items in the future.
If you know a little bit about the game of Mahjong, you can have more pleasure when playing it. Here are a few pointers for those who are just getting started.
- Mahjong is sometimes played for monetary gain. Determine whether or not you will be participating in a Mahjong tournament or game before you sit down for the first round. Mahjong does include a gambling element to it on occasion
- Just make sure you play a lot of games. It is inevitable that the more you play Mahjong, the more you will learn. It is beneficial to play with more experienced players in order to improve one’s skills. You may lose a lot of games, but you will get valuable strategic information
- If you pay attention to expert players, you will notice that the game advances swiftly. It is critical to think quickly and strategically in order to achieve more success. Games among beginners, on the other hand, will go more slowly
Q. Do I need to be able to read and comprehend Chinese characters in order to play Mahjong? A.Traditional Mahjong sets will feature Chinese characters inscribed on the tiles, as will contemporary Mahjong sets. Even if you don’t understand Chinese, you may utilize these tiles if you can tell the difference between different Chinese characters. Some Mahjong sets, on the other hand, have Arabic numerals and characters that are understandable even by persons who are not fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
- How long do Mahjong tiles last?
- The majority of modern Mahjong tiles are made of celluloid or other types of plastic, with a few exceptions such as those carved from animal bone.
- They were nearly pieces of art in their own right, and they were incredibly long-lasting.
- A.Mahjong is available in a plethora of various configurations.
- The characters on the tiles may be somewhat different from one edition to the next, and the honor tiles may vary from one version to the next.
Consider purchasing an additional set of tiles for a game if you want a set that can be used with several distinct versions. You may then remove some of the tiles from the game in order to fit certain versions. However, there is no set that supports every Mahjong variant.
The best mahjong set
Mahjong is a Chinese board game that dates back to the Qing era in the 1600s and is still popular today. It’s now played all over the world, with a variety of different versions. Having your own mahjong set is essential if you intend to be serious about the game. This tutorial is intended to educate you all of the fundamentals of what to look for when purchasing a mahjong set. The Linda Li American Mahjong Set is our top pick since it includes everything you need to get started, including 166 tiles, chips, dice, a bettor, and a case to keep it all together and organized.
- There are several different kinds of mahjong sets.
- The conventional Chinese mahjong set has 136 tiles, and you may use this set for a variety of additional game variations as well as the traditional game.
- The game of American mahjong (also known as Western mahjong) is quite popular in the United States.
- Korean mahjong sets have only 104 tiles, which is plenty for a fast-paced game between three players.
- The white or cream top can be put inside a block of wood, but it’s far more typical to have tiles that are entirely made of plastic rather than wood.
- Green is popular in China because it represents prosperity, but there are many more color options to choose from.
- Some possibilities are more appealing than others, depending on your preferences.
RacksTiles in basic mahjong sets are sometimes too thin to stand up on their own, thus players must use racks (similar to those used in Scrabble) to hold their tiles upright while playing.
Cases for transporting goods Mahjong sets are frequently supplied with storage containers to keep the tiles and accessories organized while they are not being played with.
A pusher is included in some basic sets, although they may also be purchased separately.
Those searching for a good mid-range alternative could anticipate to pay between $100 and $250 for their purchase.
Are there any mahjong sets that can be used for all of the different types of mahjong?
This is due to the fact that you may remove some of the additional tiles and use them to play some of the mahjong versions that require less tiles.
Is it necessary to know how to read Chinese characters in order to play mahjong?
You may play mahjong as long as you are able to distinguish between the various characters on the tiles and distinguish them from other characters that are quite similar to them.
In a visually appealing package, you’ll find everything you need to play mahjong.
Includes a high-quality carrying case with a paisley-patterned design, as well as smaller cases for the tiles and accessories.
What we don’t like: We’d want larger, thicker tiles if possible.
A high-quality Chinese set with beautiful, thick tiles that stand upright on their own, eliminating the need for racks or other supporting structures.
Backs of tiles with green bamboo stripes represent health and wealth.
It cannot be used to play American Mahjong, which is something we despise.
What we appreciate about it: It comes with 166 engraved and painted tiles as well as pusher/rack combinations.
What we don’t like: The overall quality might be improved upon.
Founded in 2010, BestReviews is a product review organization with a single mission: to assist you in making more informed shopping decisions while saving you both time and money.
In order to propose the best goods for the majority of consumers, BestReviews spends hundreds of hours researching, evaluating, and testing items.
If you purchase a product after clicking on one of our affiliate links, BestReviews and its newspaper partners may get a commission. Tribune Content Agency, LLC is in charge of distribution.
The Best 5 Mahjong Sets Of 2021 [Reviews & Buyer’s Guide]
- Known as mahjong, it is a Chinese board game that dates back to the 1600s and is still played widely today. There are other versions that are now played all throughout the world. Having your own mahjong set is recommended if you are serious about the game. It is the goal of this tutorial to educate you all you need know about buying a mahjong set. The Linda Li American Mahjong Set is our top pick since it comes with everything you need to get started, including 166 tiles, chips, dice, a bettor, and a case to keep it all together and organized. When purchasing mahjong sets, there are several factors to consider. Many types of Mahjong sets are available to purchase Due to the fact that there are several variants on the classic Chinese mahjong game, it is necessary to select the appropriate set in order to play the variation of your choice. You may use the classic Chinese mahjong set, which has 136 tiles, for a variety of different mahjong games, as well. In Hong Kong rules mahjong, the same amount of tiles are used, but the game is played and scored in a slightly different way than other versions. American mahjong (also known as Western mahjong) is a popular game in the United States of America. This variety requires 152 tiles, however owing to the inclusion of some blank tiles and spares, a total of 166 tiles is usually included in a set for this variation. A three-player game of Korean mahjong requires just 104 tiles, which are contained in a small, compact set. Materials used in tile construction Traditionally, mahjongtiles were made of animal bone, but today, acrylic, melamine, and other forms of plastic are almost entirely used to create the tiles. The white or cream top can be put inside a block of wood, but it’s far more typical to have tiles that are entirely made of plastic rather than wooden. A different-colored piece of plastic is adhered to the reverse of certain tiles, however this is not universal. Green is popular in China because it represents prosperity, but there are many more color options to choose from, including blue and purple. Despite the fact that the symbols and letters are generally the same throughout different mahjong sets, the actual artwork on the tiles is not. The advantages of certain alternatives outweigh the disadvantages of others. Before making a purchase, we strongly advise that you examine the artwork thoroughly. RacksTiles in basic mahjong sets can be too thin to stand up on their own, thus players must use racks (similar to those used in Scrabble) to hold their tiles upright while playing. There are generally racks included in a mahjong set, which indicates that the tiles are thin in this case. Capacities for transportation Mahjong sets are frequently supplied with storage containers to keep the tiles and accessories organized while they are not being played with them. Pushers In the course of the game, a mahjong pusher may be quite handy in assisting you in pushing out your wall without revealing your tile. You may purchase a pusher separately or as part of a standard set, which certain manufacturers provide. Price ranges for mahjong sets Mahjong sets may be purchased for as low as $50, while high-end alternatives can cost upwards of $600 or more. It’s reasonable to anticipate to pay between $100 and $250 for a reliable mid-range choice. FAQ Are there any mahjong sets that can be utilized for all mahjong variations? Q. Are there any mahjong sets that are suitable for all mahjong variations? A.While there isn’t a single sort of mahjong set that can be utilized for every form of play, sets with more tiles (such as American sets) are typically considered to be more adaptable. This is due to the fact that you may remove the additional tiles and play some of the mahjong versions that require less tiles as a result. For mahjong, does it matter whether or not you can read Chinese characters? A. No, reading Chinese characters is not required. You don’t need to know any Cantonese or Mandarin to play mahjong, despite the fact that the tiles have Chinese characters on them. Mahjong is a game that may be played as long as you are able to distinguish between the distinct characters on the tiles and other characters that seem similar to them. Our top-rated mahjong sets The finest of the best are as follows: Mahjong Set by Linda Li from the United States A high-quality mahjong set that is specifically suited for playing the American form of the game. Our opinion: In a visually appealing bundle, you’ll find everything you need to play mahjong! It’s the artwork on the engraved tiles that we like the best. Includes a high-quality carrying case with a paisley-patterned pattern, as well as smaller carrying boxes for tiles and accessories. A mahjong ruleset is also included. It’s the size and thickness of the tiles that we detest. The most value for your money is found in the following categories: Professional Chinese Mahjong Game Set from Yellow Mountain Imports. A high-quality Chinese set with beautiful, thick tiles that stand upright on their own, eliminating the need for racks or other support structures. 146 tiles and three dice are included in a tiny leather-look carrying case, which is a nice touch. Health and prosperity are symbolized by green bamboo-striped tile backs. A fantastic value for money! It cannot be utilized for American Mahjong, which is something we despise. CHH American Mahjong Soft Bag Set (Option 3) This is a wonderful set at a fair price if you enjoy playing mahjong according to American rules. It comes with 166 engraved and painted tiles, as well as pusher/rack combinations, which we think is a great addition. Several tiles and accessories are accommodated in the plush burgundy tote. It would be great if the quality were higher all around. For BestReviews, Lauren Corona contributes to the site as a writer. With a single aim in mind, BestReviews is a product review organization with a single goal: to assist you in making more informed purchase decisions while saving you both time and money. BestReviews never takes free items from manufacturers and instead purchases each and every product it reviews with its own resources. In order to propose the best goods for the majority of consumers, BestReviews spends hundreds of hours researching, evaluating, and testing them. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links, BestReviews and its newspaper partners may get a commission. Tribune Content Agency, LLC is in charge of distribution for this material.
The stunning presentation of this set is one of its most notable characteristics. Everything is contained within a redwood case, which makes it easy to travel the entire set. The tiles are designed to be reminiscent of Bakelite tiles from the 1930s, making them an excellent choice for anybody who like a vintage aesthetic. The racks and pushers are equipped with magnets, allowing you to keep track of your tiles with less difficulty. The package includes everything you need to get started, including score coins, three dice, a wooden carved wind indicator, and English instructions.
Please keep in mind that this is an American Mahjong set rather than a Chinese Mahjong set.
The following are the most important characteristics:
- It comes with a beautiful travel bag that makes it simple to transport your set
- For a classic aesthetic, choose Melamine Bakelite type tiles. Magnets that assist in keeping stuff in place while playing
It comes with a lovely travel bag that makes it simple to transport your set; For a classic aesthetic, use Melamine Bakelite type tiles. Magnets that assist keep objects in place while children are playing are also available.
2. American Mah Jongg Set
- The number of tiles is 166
- The tile dimensions are 1-3/16″ tall by 7/8″ broad by 1/2″ thick (30mm x 23mm x 13mm)
- And the tile thickness is 1/2″. 9 lbs in total weight
- There is no information on a warranty.
This American Mahjong set is one of our favorites since it is an excellent choice for first-time customers. Every piece of equipment required to learn and enjoy the game of Mahjong is included in this bundle. First and foremost, you’ll receive an American-style Mahjong primer, which will allow you to quickly learn the fundamentals. There are 166 Mahjong tiles in total, each of which has been meticulously carved and hand-painted to provide you with a high-quality playing set. Because they are composed of melamine, they will be durable enough to withstand several hours of gameplay.
It’s also rather lightweight, so you’ll have no trouble transporting it anywhere you need to go with it.
The following are the most important characteristics:
- Traveling with a durable canvas bag is a breeze. Tiles that are beautiful and long-lasting
- Complete primer, which is ideal for individuals who are beginning to play for the first time
Conclusion:If you’ve never played Mahjong before, this is an excellent set to get you started on your Mahjong journey. It includes everything you’ll need to get up and running quickly. Once you’ve gained confidence in the game, you may take it with you everywhere you go and play with anyone you choose. If you’re a newbie, this is the kit you should invest in.
3. Brand New American Mahjong Set
- The number of tiles is 166
- The tile dimensions are 1 1/8″ x 7/8″ x 1/2″
- And the net weight is 7.75 lbs.
You may have looked at these sets so far and been concerned about the cost of purchasing them. What happens if you purchase one and discover that Mahjong is not for you? What if you’re on a tight budget and don’t want to blow your entire cash? This kit offers everything you need. Although it is a low-cost option, it does not imply that it is less than optimal for you. The bundle includes everything you’ll need to get started playing Mahjong. Most crucially, there are 166 white tiles that are a close match to their more costly counterparts in terms of appearance and performance.
As well as the package contents is an instruction manual, which means you may begin using the product immediately.
The set is completed with a carry bag in a raspberry hue, which allows you to transfer your Mahjong set anywhere you want anytime you want. The following are the most important characteristics:
- For a reduced price, you may have a fully equipped set. a tote pouch to make transportation easier
- Step-by-step instructions so that you may begin learning Mahjong as soon as you receive your set
Conclusion:If you’re seeking to save money on a Mahjong set, this is the package for you. Because it is bright and colorful, it will appeal to children in particular. It’s the most comprehensive budget package available. Compared to other sets available, this is the greatest deal available!
4. Linda Li8482 American Mahjong Set
- The number of tiles is 166
- The tile dimensions are 1-3/16″ tall by 7/8″ broad by 1/2″ thick (30mm x 23mm x 13mm)
- The net weight is 8.8 lbs
- And there is no information on the warranty.
The number of tiles is 166; the tile dimensions are 1-3/16″ tall x 7/8″ broad x 1/2″ thick (30mm x 23mm x 13mm); the net weight is 8.8 lbs; and there is no information on the manufacturer’s warranty.
- This Mahjong set has a serious style that distinguishes it from the other Mahjong sets available for purchase. Everything is contained in a quilted travel bag that keeps everything safe. Sleeves that match the tiles and accessories to keep them together
If you’re searching for a set that is as visually appealing as it is functional, this is the one for you. It’s both useful and fashionable, so you’ll be able to find anything you need.
5. Mose Cafolo Chinese Mahjong
- There are 166 tiles total
- The tile dimensions are 1 5/12″ x 2.8cm x 7/8″ (3.7cm x 2.2cm)
- The case dimensions are 14 3/4″ x 10 4/5″ x 2″ (37.5cm x 7.5cm)
- The net weight is 10.65 lbs
- And there is no information on the warranty.
There are 166 tiles total; the tile dimensions are 1 5/12″ x 2.8cm x 7/8″ (3.7cm x 2.2cm); the case dimensions are 14 3/4″ x 10 4/5″ x 2″ (37.5cm x 7.5cm); the net weight is 10.65 lbs; and there is no information on the warranty.
- Large tiles, which are ideal if you want larger symbols or simply want a wider collection
- An appealing finishing touch is provided by the gold backing. This kit may be transported anywhere thanks to its attractive travel bag.
Conclusion: This is an excellent value for money. For a reduced price, you receive good quality tiles as well as a carry bag that allows you to take the set with you wherever you go. It’s another alternative for individuals who are new to the game and want to try something else.
Mahjong Set Buyer’s Guide
As a result of seeing what’s available, which Mahjong set do you recommend purchasing? Because there are so many options, it can be difficult to know where to begin. There are a few different approaches you may take to locate the set that’s right for you as a buyer.
Accessories And Extras
Many various sets are available, each of which includes a variety of different accessories. We chose the top 5 selections above because they are complete packages that include everything you could possibly need. Consider whether you want an all-in-one solution. These might include items such as wind indicators, dice, racks, and other accessories. In the event that you do not require this or do not think these to be vital, you will not be required to search for them while comparing alternative sets.
American Or Chinese Set?
As you can see, there are two distinct styles of Mahjong: the American style and the Chinese form. Both games are entertaining to play and provide a genuine Mahjong experience. You should browse around to discover how they vary if you aren’t sure which one you want to buy. For example, you may look at YouTube videos to see the difference between the two approaches. Keep in mind that this is a decision that you made entirely on your own. Regardless of whatever set appears to you to be more enjoyable to play, don’t let the opinions of others online, who may believe one set is ‘better’ than another, influence your decision.
Jokers and the Charleston are included in the American version, although they are not included in the Chinese version.
The winning hand in American Mah Jongg is chosen by the rules card, which is different every year, which makes it more difficult to play than the traditional Chinese version. Every year, the National Mah Jongg League issues a card, which must be purchased separately from the game.
If you’re using a Western set, you may choose Western indices over Chinese characters, for example. You are not need to have them, as learning the Chinese letters is a rather simple process. Western indices, on the other hand, will make your life as a player a lot simpler if you are only interested in using the set for recreational play.
Correct Number Of Tiles
For the purposes of determining the version of the game you wish to play, the number of tiles in a set is vital to note. For example, American Mahjong may be played with as little as 152 tiles, but you can also purchase sets that include 136, 144, and even more tiles to play. It is also vital to consider the variety of tiles used. The number of Jokers required for an American set is 8. Chinese settings require four blossoms and four seasons to be completed. Four red fives are required for playing Japanese Mahjong.
The final option you have with Mahjong sets is the materials from which they are constructed. Bone and bamboo tiles, as well as conventional plastic tiles, are your primary alternatives here. Both have their perks and disadvantages. Bone and bamboo are the typical materials used, and there’s no disputing that they look wonderful, but they’re also more expensive than other options. Plastic, on the other hand, has far greater flexibility. It is generally more cost effective to get a plastic set, which looks just as nice as the genuine thing.
If you’re searching for a low-cost option, plastic sets are what you should consider purchasing.
Top 10 Mahjong Sets of 2020
In the three years after it was initially published in September 2015, this wiki has seen 32 updates. Basing its gameplay on 18th-century card games, Mahjong transitioned from cards to tiles somewhere in the 19th century and hasn’t looked back since. With one of these elegant and, in many cases, portable sets, you can play this popular game for three to four players just about anyplace with your family and friends. We’ve included alternatives for individuals who like to play according to Chinese or American game rules, as well as sets for novices and purists of the old school.
This wiki has been updated 32 times since it was initially published in September of 2015.
With one of these elegant and, in many cases, portable sets, you can play this popular game for three to four players just about anyplace with your family and friends.
When people purchase our editorial recommendations, which have been independently selected, we may receive a commission, which will be used to help finance the Wiki.
1.Yellow Mountain Imports Little Birdie
The Yellow Mountain Imports Little Birdie (about $153) is made up of 166 tiles with a sparrow design on the reverse that is protected by transparent acrylic. There are several compartments in the interior of the stylish mahogany carry case, which is lined with black velour to neatly store the numerous accessories within.
2.American-Wholesaler Linda Li
Additional accessories from American Wholesaler Linda Li (about $117) include two zipped bags for loose tiles, and two Velcro-fastened wraps for locking your racks, both of which are decorated with a paisley print on the outside and a soft, quilted inside lining for added comfort.
3.Mose Cafolo X-Large
The Mose Cafolo X-Large (about $46) is a reasonable alternative for individuals who have difficulty handling or reading little tiles, since it provides somewhat bigger ones to make things a little simpler. There are no jokers in this game, so the Chinese rules must be observed at all times, but the pieces are labeled with Arabic digits for easy identification.
This somewhat larger version of the Mose Cafolo X-Large (about $46) is an excellent solution for folks who have difficulty managing or reading tiny tiles. The Chinese rules must be observed because there are no jokers, however the pieces are labeled with Arabic numerals for easy reference.
Set of Mahjong Tiles by Geoffrey Parker With its headquarters in England, custom games manufacturer Geoffrey Parker provides a version of this game that is hand-carved (from animal bone and bamboo), as well as painted by China’s greatest Mahjong artist, Mr. Liu Jun, in the style of the game. Furthermore, it is presented in a leather-bound trunk with removable drawers that are stocked with Royal Scot Crystal glasses and decanters, as well as high-end cigars from across the world. Of course, you can expect to pay a hefty price for it.
4.Yellow Mountain Imports Professional
In addition to the 146 melamine tiles, three dice, and a wind indicator, the Yellow Mountain Imports Professional (about $50) comes with everything you need to play by the conventional rules, all of which is nicely contained within a red vinyl travel box with a gold emblem.
5.Kai Tai Inc.
The Kai Tai Inc. (about $61) has everything a player needs for a competitive game, all of which is contained in a durable aluminum hard case that can be transported to matches. There’s a complete set of 166 Western-rules tiles, as well as plenty of spares, all of which are stored in two felt-lined trays for further security.
6.Yellow Mountain Imports Mini Travel
In the Kai Tai Inc. (about $61), players will find everything they need for a competitive game, all contained in a durable aluminum hard case that can be transported to and from games.
166 tiles with Western-rules are included in the set, along with plenty of replacements, which are stored in two felt-lined trays for further protection.
The CHH Western (about $93) has 166 ivory-colored tiles, which some people find more comfortable on the eyes than blinding white. There are a variety of color options available for the hard case, which include black, silver, and burgundy, so you can arrive at your next gaming night in style.
8.Hello Kitty Sanrio
For around $93, the CHH Western comprises 166 ivory-colored tiles, which some people find more comfortable on the eyes than brilliant white tiles do. There are a variety of color options available for the hard case, which include black, silver, and burgundy, so you can arrive to your next gaming night in style.
9.Yellow Mountain Imports Indigo
Using regular-sized playing cards instead of tiles and racks allows the Yellow Mountain Imports Indigo (about $12) to play without having to change any of the game’s rules. This is a practical solution for travelers who do not wish to deal with the additional burden of caring for hundreds of parts.
10.Yellow Mountain Imports Decals
The Yellow Mountain Imports Decals(approximately $13) are a convenient way to make new tiles if you’re prone to lose them. Simply paste the selected pictures right onto your spare tiles and you’ve got yourself a new set of tiles. It’s even possible to 3D-print or cut your own tiles and then apply these stickers later if you’re feeling very inventive.
Mahjong: The Basics
You will need to provide two to four players, a table, and a pen and paper to keep track of the points earned. Mahjong, commonly known as Mah Jongg, is a Chinese tile game that involves matching pairs of tiles. When it comes to table games, the closest comparable example would be Rummy for most Westerners who are unfamiliar with this one. In Mahjong, tiles are used instead of cards, and the suits differ in a variety of ways from one another. Mahjong kits are packaged as a kit, and every Mahjong kit will include tiles and dice in addition to the game.
- It might be scary if you are completely new to the game of Mahjong.
- The dice (either two or three) are rolled by each participant to begin the game.
- The dealer shuffles (if you can call it that) all of the tiles in the center, and then each player chooses thirteen tiles from the middle.
- Every player must have a minimum of thirteen tiles available at all times.
- The points earned by the players are based on the pairs and melds they form.
- A meld can be made up of three or four identical tiles, or it can be made up of a combination of three or four identical tiles (three suited tiles in a sequence).
- The goal of the game is for the player to make a Mahjong with four melds and one pair.
In an official game of Mahjong, each player shall have the opportunity to play the role of the dealer at least twice. The player who accumulates the most number of points at the end of both rounds is declared the winner.
What You Need Out of Your Set
When selecting the proper Mahjong equipment for your needs, be certain that the following items are contained inside the kit: Mahjong sets come with a regular number of tiles of 144. Some sets will not have the bonus tiles, which total eight in number and are not included in all others. They are divided into two groups of four tiles, one for flowers and another for seasons. These are analogous to the jokers seen in western playing cards. My recommendation is that you start with a regular American or Chinese-approved kit while you’re shopping for your kit.
- Even though the majority of non-Chinese speaking players will not be familiar with the meaning of the characters, they will be able to detect and construct patterns anyway.
- It is possible to divide the tiles into three groups: dots, bamboo, and character.
- The similarities between Mahjong’s three suits and the four suits of western playing cards (hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds) should serve as a life raft on which players might cling while learning the three suits of Mahjong.
- If the bonus tiles are included, they are divided into two categories: flowers and seasons, which completes a complete set of Mahjong tiles.
- It is highly advised that you choose a small and robust case, especially if you will be traveling with your set.
- Although mahjong has its origins in China, it is a popular activity in many South Eastern Asian nations.
- It is possible that some tiles will be omitted, or that the number of dice will change.
A Brief History of Mahjong
Mahjong has its origins in the card game Rummy and is a classic example of the draw and discard card games that were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. The game of Mahjong was originally played using cards, and it was only in the mid-19th century that it was transformed into a game of tiles. Mahjong sets were initially sold in the United States in 1920, when it was imported from China by Abercrombie & Fitch, which was the first game distributor to do so. Eventually, the game of Mahjong gained popularity in the West as well.
- In the following year, it was imported to Japan.
- It was Babcock who taught me how to play the game while studying in China, and his “red book” made it quite simple.
- Because of this, there are a plethora of different Mahjong variations available today.
- However, it is still a common ingredient in many Chinese households today.
- Tina Morna Freitas’s blog was last updated on November 4, 2020.
- She received her MFA from Northwestern University.
- in anthropology with a minor in English, and she has created a successful freelance writing and digital marketing job throughout the course of her career.
- Aside from that, her 20 years of experience as a parent has provided her with valuable insight into the never-ending flood of toys and equipment that ultimately takes over the homes of most parents.
- Thank you for taking the time to read the fine print.
- More information about our rankings may be found in our about us section, which is linked below.
- You will not be charged any additional fees, and your purchase price will remain the same as if you were a direct visitor to the merchant’s website.
If you feel that your product should be considered for inclusion in this review, you may contact us; but, we cannot promise a response, even if you deliver flowers to our offices.
10 Best Mahjong Sets of 2022
The results are based on a scan of 9,720 reviews.
|1||American Mahjong Set, “Koi Fish” with Wooden Case||9.8||9.8|
|2||Professional Chinese Mahjong Game Set – Double Happiness (Green)||9.4||9.4|
|3||Mahjong MAH JONG Game Set Tiles Complete In Original Box Red Case||9.2||9.2|
|4||American Mahjong Set – Pink Sparkles – with Pink Aluminum Case and Accessories||8.8||8.8|
|5||Hey! Play! Chinese Mahjong Game Set with 146 Tiles Dice and Ornate StorageByhey-play||8.7||8.7|
|6||American Mahjong Set, “Pattaya” with Red Soft Case, Racks, Pushers||8.3||8.3|
|7||American Mahjong Set, “Pepper” with Pepper Green Soft Case, Racks, Pushers||8.0||8.0|
|8||American Mahjong Set, “Golden Fortune” with Inlaid Wooden Case, Racks, Pushers||7.9||7.9|
|9||Chinese Mahjong Set X-Large 144 Ivory Color Tile 1.5″ Tiles Mah-jongg with Case||7.5||7.5|
|10||American Mahjong Set in Burgundy Bag, 4 Color Pushers / Racks Western Mahjongg||7.0||7.0|
You May Also Like
|Product Name||Popularity Score||Quality Score||Sentiment Score||Sales Volume|
|1||American Mahjong Set, “Koi Fish” with Wooden Case||9.8||9.3||9.9|
|2||Professional Chinese Mahjong Game Set – Double Happiness (Green)||9.4||8.9||9.5|
|3||Mahjong MAH JONG Game Set Tiles Complete In Original Box Red Case||9.2||8.7||9.3|
|4||American Mahjong Set – Pink Sparkles – with Pink Aluminum Case and Accessories||8.8||8.3||8.9|
|5||Hey! Play! Chinese Mahjong Game Set with 146 Tiles Dice and Ornate Storage||8.7||8.2||8.8|
|6||American Mahjong Set, “Pattaya” with Red Soft Case, Racks, Pushers||8.3||7.8||8.4|
|7||American Mahjong Set, “Pepper” with Pepper Green Soft Case, Racks, Pushers||8.0||7.5||8.1|
|8||American Mahjong Set, “Golden Fortune” with Inlaid Wooden Case, Racks, Pushers||7.9||7.4||8.0|
|9||Chinese Mahjong Set X-Large 144 Ivory Color Tile 1.5″ Tiles Mah-jongg with Case||7.5||7.0||7.6|
|10||American Mahjong Set in Burgundy Bag, 4 Color Pushers / Racks Western Mahjongg||7.0||6.5||7.1|
If you make a purchase after clicking on one of the recommended links in this article, Microsoft and its partners may get a commission.
Send MSN Feedback
Please rate the following website on a scale of 1-5:
11 Best Mahjong Sets – Our Picks, Alternatives & Reviews
FEBRUARY 9, 2022: UPDATED INFORMATION In order to assist you in your search for the ideal mahjong set, we are constantly updating and expanding our list of recommended mahjong sets. It is our team’s responsibility to gather, edit and publish fresh material in order to provide you with information that is correct, meaningful, and well organized.
8 More Mahjong Set Alternatives
If you’re seeking for the best-rated mahjong set, you should most likely look into the American-Wholesaler Inc.’s New! – American Set, which is now available. We looked at a number of other review sites and discovered that this one had the best balance between the number of reviews and the average rating stars. American-Wholesaler Inc. has launched a new product, the American Set.
The Lowest Price We Could Find
Mose Cafolo Chinese X-Large 144 Numbered Tiles 1.5″ Large Tile with Carrying Travel Case Pro Complete Game Set with Mose Cafolo Chinese X-Large 144 Numbered Tiles 1.5″ Large Tile with Carrying Travel Case
The Mahjong Set With the Most Reviews
144 Numbered Tiles 1.5″ Large Tile with Carrying Case Pro Complete Game Set by Mose Cafolo Chinese X-Large 144 Numbered Tiles 1.5″ Large Tile
High Quality Mahjong Sets
It is extremely unusual that the adage “You get what you pay for” is proven to be false. Please feel free to select the most costly item from our selection if you have the extra funds on hand: TheAmerican-Wholesaler Inc. has launched a new product, the American Set. The item is now available for purchase for $169.95.
The Mahjong Set With the Most Clicks
If you believe in us and our users, please consider checking out theAmerican-Wholesaler Inc. New! – American Collection. According to our data, it is the most popular Mahjong Set among those who have tried it.
If you’re still hesitant, I propose that you follow the crowd and get the most popular mahjong set on the market right now: The Dongzeng Setsis the most popular product in this category right now. Dongzeng Arrangements
Mahjong Set Reviews
There are currently no reviews available for mahjong sets. Be the first to post a review, or browse through the reviews in theFurther Readingsection below for more inspiration.
Further Reading on Mahjong Sets
New: Our editorial list of extra articles, which has been updated. We made the decision to compile information from many sources on the internet and give you with a list of useful, external links to intriguing reading about reviews, pros and disadvantages, and related items that you may find useful. Review: Microsoft Mahjongg – a game with a divine purpose The following is the table of contents. Screenshots; general information; general notes; gameplay overview; advantages and disadvantages; concerns and issues There are multiple pairings of lightning tiles in each of the Lightning Tile games.
- This post was liked by 0 people.
- The original color of Mah Jong is not well documented due to a lack of archival material.
- This post was liked by 0 people.
- If you find yourself constantly short of players, or if acquiring a set is now within your financial reach, another option would be to play mahjong.
- if it is beneficial or not Since 2000, there has been just one name in American Mah Jongg.
- Visit Where The Winds Blow for all of your Mah Jongg needs; we sell American Mah Jongg Sets, Gifts, and Much More.
- if it is beneficial or not Frequently Asked Questions 7d: Mah-Jongg Bits and Pieces Included with Mah-Jongg Sets Consider the following scenario: you have a Japanese mah-jongg set with 40 of one type of stick.
- 0 people found this post to be useful or not helpful.
- to Mah Jongg Thanks for visiting Mah Jongg Maven, your one-stop shop for Mah Jongg sets and games, as well as mahjong tiles and mahjong cases and other related accessories.
Storefront for Mah Jongg – Information about Mah Jongg – A list of teachers – Contact. This post was liked by 0 people. if it is beneficial or not
Are you interested in learning more about mahjong sets? Check out the websites provided below to learn more about the entire issue of mahjong set products in general.
About this Article
It was written by V. Tobies and published on Alternative.me’s Mahjong Sets page, which you can see here. There have been 2103 views of this page since it was last updated on 2012-02-09 08:37:29.
Did you like thisarticle about Mahjong Sets? Please rate it!
This article was liked by 3 out of 4 people. This corresponds to a star rating of 3.75 out of 5 stars. This article was liked by 3 out of 4 people. This corresponds to a star rating of 3.75 out of 5 stars.
Attention: Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and other countries.